UCC Pastoral Letter from GMP Geoffrey Black on the Tenth Anniversary of September 11

From Worldwide Faith News <wfn@igc.org>
Date Thu, 08 Sep 2011 21:20:48 -0700

Pastoral Letter from GMP Geoffrey Black on the
Tenth Anniversary of September 11

September 8, 2011

Dear Colleagues and Coworkers of the United Church of Christ:

Just about everyone can remember where they  were
the morning of September 11, 2001 and the days
that followed.  As New York Conference Minister,
I was scheduled to preach in New York City the
following Sunday.  Since all of the United States
was a no-fly zone, I took the long drive through
the Catskills.  Needless to say the drive gave me plenty of time to think.

When I arrived, the congregation had gathered as
usual on that Sunday morning.  Not surprisingly,
most of the folks were still in a state of
shock.  There was an abiding atmosphere of
sadness and grieving, yet another emotion that I
had not anticipated was the presence of deep
gratitude.  It was beginning to dawn on many of
those at worship, including me, that as
devastating and shocking as the attacks were,
there was reason to be thankful that the tragedy
could have been even greater.  This awareness was
accompanied by the stories of individuals who
worked near the World Trade Center and could have
lost their lives, but for various reasons were
not there that fateful morning.  Many more were
grateful that, for the moment, the danger had
passed.  Even in the midst of mourning, our
thanksgiving to God was fervent and deeper than usual.

Now, almost ten years have passed.  For some who
experienced personal loss, the pain still feels
as acute as if it happened yesterday.  For
others, there is emotional distance from the
horror of that day, yet reverberations
remain.  Mere mention of the date September 11th
churns up feelings and distinct memories. During
these years our country has engaged in two long
wars attributed in part to the events of
September 11th.  Most recently, the U.S. military
apprehended and killed Osama bin Laden, the
person who took credit for orchestrating the attacks of September 11th.

The pain and suffering that we as Americans

associate with terrorism began that day and has
continued ever since.  For that reason the date
is etched in our nation?s collective
consciousness.  However, it is important to note
that for others around the world, that day is the
day we experienced the degree of pain other
nations and peoples have experienced far
longer.  September 11th was a day the tragedies
of the world came to our shores.

As we approach this anniversary of our national
tragedy, my prayer is that we do so recognizing
that our national understanding of and response
to terrorism have been inadequate thus far.  If
anything, some actions and policies of our
government­from the crimes of Abu Ghraib, to
Guantanamo Bay and the human toll referred to as
?collateral damage?­have inspired more people to
take up arms against the U.S.  We are still
challenged to perceive ?the other? more fairly,
and to pursue true security more
faithfully.  General Synod?s recent resolution
?On Actions of Hostility Against Islam and the
Muslim Community? urges us to build relationships
of trust and understanding with our neighbors
rather than be led by our fears and
prejudices.   My hope is that we use this
anniversary as an opportunity to reflect on these
ten years, the years of America?s longest war,
and begin to chart a new direction.

Our gathering as a UCC church in Queens, NY on
that first Sunday after September 11th, 2001 was
a moment in time filled with regret and grief. It
was also tinged with hope emanated from
thanksgiving to our living, loving and merciful
God.  Perhaps that is who we turn to and where we
start as we contemplate beginning anew our work
toward God?s just and peaceful realm ?on earth as it is in heaven.?

Peace and blessings,