UMNS Daily Digest - Sept. 9, 2011 (9/11, Flight 93, Pennsylvania, New York, Rwanda, clean water, dea

From "United Methodist News Service" <newsdesk@umcom.org>
Date Fri, 09 Sep 2011 13:28:22 -0700

   To ensure consistent delivery, please add [1]newsdesk@umcom.org to your
                     contact and/or safe senders list.

           [2]View Online | [3]Add to Address Book | [4]Subscribe
       UMNS Daily Digest - Produced by United Methodist News Service
                           Friday, Sept. 9, 2011
                  [5]Flight 93 Ambassadors honor 9/11 heroes
                       [6]My mother's prayers and 9/11
                   [7]'The war's happening all over again'
                      [8]Drying our tears and moving on
                   [9]Clean water is precious gift from God
                     [10]Event for those called to serve

   [11]UMTV: 9/11 Memorial in Shanksville»

   [12]Making Peace
   After 9/11»

   [13]Share Your 9/11 Thoughts»

   [14]9/11 Memories: Arlette Kitenge»

   [15]UMCOR: Disaster
   Response 2011»

   [16]UMNS Immigration Survey»

   [17]Read Additional UMNS Stories»

   [18]Find us on Facebook

   [19]Twitter

   Contact Us
   [20]E-mail
   (615) 742-5470

   "If you think the world's in a bad way, and society is going down the chute,
   you just have to spend time here. ... It's a wonderful country that we live
   in, and people really are good. And to find that out was a very healing
   thing for me, especially right after 9/11 when everyone felt such anxiety."
   - Donna Glessner, a United Methodist, who organized volunteers to minister
   at the site of the Flight 93 crash.

Flight 93 Ambassadors honor 9/11 heroes

   SHANKSVILLE, Pa. (UMNS) - Donna Glessner saw a need to help visitors
   understand what had happened at the United Airlines Flight 93 crash site. In
   January 2002, she decided to recruit volunteers and started with her
   congregation, Shanksville United Methodist Church.

   [21]Read full story and post a comment»

My mother's prayers and 9/11

   LAKE GROVE, N.Y. (UMNS) - The Rev. Constance Y. Pak, a pastor in Long Island
   on 9/11, looks at the 10-year anniversary of terrorist attacks as a time to
   "rededicate, rediscover and recreate ourselves and our churches."

   [22]Read full commentary and post a comment»

'The war's happening all over again'

   ANTIOCH, Tenn. (UMNS) - When the 9/11 attacks occurred, Arlette Kitenge's
   family had only recently escaped to the United States from the genocidal war
   in Rwanda. Kitenge, then in fourth grade, remembers her immediate thoughts
   after the attacks: "The war's happening all over again. The war followed us
   to the United States."

   [23]Read full commentary and post a comment»

Drying our tears and moving on

   NEW YORK (UMNS) - For what seemed like months, every day after Sept, 11,
   2001, the New York Times ran an article that devoted several paragraphs each
   to victims of the terrorist attacks. And every morning, I cried, writes UMNS
   multimedia reporter Linda Bloom in her Bloombytes blog. Now she takes
   comfort in the construction of the new World Trade Center.

   [24]Read full blog and post a comment»

Clean water is precious gift from God

   NASHVILLE, Tenn. (UMNS) - In her Gilbert's Gleanings blog, United Methodist
   Communications reporter Kathy Gilbert writes about speaking to a group of
   children about the lack of clean water in many parts of the world.
   UMCOR's [25]monthly 10-Fold webcast will highlight its efforts in water
   sanitation on Sept. 10.

   [26]Read full blog and post a comment»

Event for those called to serve

   ASHEVILLE, N.C. (UMNS) - A United Methodist Women event Oct. 28-30 in
   Asheville is for lay people to discern whether they are called to be
   deaconesses or home missioners. The United Methodist Church commissions
   deaconesses, who are laywomen, and home missioners, who are laymen, to
   full-time ministries of love, justice and service. The deadline to [27]apply
   for the discernment event is Sept. 15.

   [28]Read full story»

   Did someone you know pass along this copy to you? Get your own copy
   [29]here.

      United Methodist News Service is a ministry of United Methodist
                              Communications.

               Ministries of United Methodist Communications:

             [30]Rethink Church
             [31]TechShop
             [32]EcuFilm
             [33]UMC.org
   Program Journals:
      [34]Interpreter Magazine
      [35]El' Interprete
      [36]United Methodists In Service
             [37]InfoServ
             [38]Kingswood Communications
   [39]United Methodist News Service
      [40]UM Audio
      [41]UMTV
             [42]Foundation for United Methodist Communications
             [43]United Methodist Communications International
             [44]Global Health Initiative

          Products & Services of United Methodist Communications:

                     [45]Crisis Communications
                     [46]Communications Training
                     [47]Program Calendars
                     [48]United Methodist Press Center
                     [49]Scholarships
   [50]Promotional Resources for Apportionments, Special Sundays and Designated
   Giving
                     [51]United Methodist Productions

       [52]http://umns.umc.org | [53]Privacy Policy | [54]Contact Us

 If you are reading a pass-along copy of this issue, please go here to start
                your own account: [55]UMNS Subscriber Form.
United Methodist Communications Address: 810 12th Ave S, Nashville, TN 37203

   [56]Unsubscribe from this mailing. [4887931606.gif]