Spiritual and experiential lessons highlight PCT prayer meeting for Alangyi

From "Taiwan Church News" <enews@pctpress.org>
Date Mon, 19 Sep 2011 14:56:18 +0800

3107 Edition

September 12-18, 2011

Headline News

Spiritual and experiential lessons highlight PCT prayer meeting for Alangyi

Reported by Sam Lee

Written by Lydia Ma

PCT General Assembly organized at prayer meeting in Alangyi on September 10,
2011. The prayer meeting was part of a church-wide prayer movement called "Lift
up my eyes to the hills". Despite blistering hot temperatures, more than 100
people participated in this prayer meeting that included a prayer walk and an
exploratory tour of Alangyi.

The event, which featured PCT Associate General Secretary Lyim Hong-tiong as
the main speaker, was a classic example of PCT living out its statement of
faith, which emphasizes on creation care. Lyim spoke about his thoughts and
feelings when he trekked across Alangyi.

Alangyi is a 12 km trail situated between Pingtung County and Taitung County
and is considered Taiwan’s last remaining natural coastline. But for some time,
the Ministry of Transportation (MOT) has been wanting to finish a highway
network traversing the southern and eastern coasts of Taiwan. This highway
known as Provincial Highway 26 – and dubbed “Nuclear Wastes Expressway” because
of two nuclear disposal plants built by it – has so far been stalled because of
a temporary nature reserve designation status placed on Alangyi.

The designation status expired in July 2011 when petitions to extend it didn't
pass the required signature threshold, and there were concerns that plans to
complete Provincial Highway 26 would resume immediately. Luckily, Pingtung
County extended Alangyi’s “Temporary Natural Reserve” status to January 31,
2012 by early August. This extension will at least keep the trail intact for a
few more months.

Along with other civil society organizations, PCT was present and active all
throughout the ordeal to preserve Alangyi pristine coastline. Though a reprieve
has been granted, efforts continue to permanently preserve this trail.

As a means to raise awareness, PCT leaders organized a prayer meeting there
recently so that people would see and experience for themselves the beauty and
ecological diversity of Alangyi where rare creatures and plants call home.

Part of the day's activities included trekking along the Alangyi Trail and a
stretch of it was a steep hill that could only be crossed using ropes. Despite
the challenge, participants young and old were undaunted and plowed on -
including 72 year old Huang Cheng-nan, an elder from Kengsheng Presbyterian
Church in Taitung.

"I come from Taitung and this is my first time in Alangyi," Huang said. "It’s
really beautiful. We must preserve this place... we mustn't allow it to be
destroyed."

Taiwan Church News is published weekly in Taiwan's local languages.

You may translate and re-use our articles online only if you acknowledge the
source as "Taiwan Church News" and list the names of the reporter and writer.
Contact us before reprinting any of our articles for print publications.

Direct comments and questions about this article to: enews@pctpress.org

Visit our website for more news at: http://enews.pctpress.org/ (English) or
http://www.pctpress.org (Chinese)