UMNS Daily Digest - Sept. 22, 2011 (New Mexico, poverty, immigration, disaster relief, 10-Fold)

From "United Methodist News Service" <newsdesk@umcom.org>
Date Thu, 22 Sep 2011 14:33:48 -0700

   To ensure consistent delivery, please add [1]newsdesk@umcom.org to your
                     contact and/or safe senders list.

           [2]View Online | [3]Add to Address Book | [4]Subscribe
       UMNS Daily Digest - Produced by United Methodist News Service
                          Thursday, Sept. 22, 2011
                   [5]'God put the mission in front of me'
                      [6]How did Pajarito Mesa happen?
                 [7]8-year-old battles malaria with crayons
                  [8]10-Fold displays church's global reach
                 [9]Christian curriculum tackles immigration

   [10]Ministry with*
   the Poor»

   [11]The Church and Immigration»

   [12]UMTV: Hispanic Clergy Migrant Ministry»

    [13]UMCOR kits»

   [14]Imagine No Malaria»

   [15]Read Additional UMNS Stories»

   [16]Find us on Facebook

   [17]Twitter

   Contact Us
   [18]E-mail
   (615) 742-5470

   "I hope to continue seeing United Methodists and those from other faith
   traditions who want to assist people in search of a better life in Pajarito
   Mesa. I hope that, together, we can follow the example of Jesus Christ."
    - The Rev. Lourdes Calderón, a United Methodist pastor, working in Pajarito
   Mesa.

'God put the mission in front of me'

   ALBUQUERQUE, N.M. (UMNS) - The Rev. Lourdes Calderón, a United Methodist
   pastor, has found a mission in helping the impoverished residents of
   Pajarito Mesa, a desolate community south of Albuquerque where people must
   make do without electricity, running water or sewage systems. "I was eager
   to learn more about the struggles and hopes of the immigrant families," she
   writes in a UMNS commentary, "but it was when someone took me to Pajarito
   Mesa that I saw where God really wanted me."

    [19]Read full story and post a comment»

How did Pajarito Mesa happen?

   ALBUQUERQUE, N.M. (UMNS) - How does a community spring up outside a sizable
   U.S. city without basic utilities or even roads? The story of Pajarito Mesa
   is complicated, but United Methodists and other Christians are giving
   beleaguered residents hope.

    [20]Read full story and post a comment»

8-year-old battles malaria with crayons

   RED WING, Minn. (UMNS) - Eight-year-old Alayna Strunk has always had a big
   heart and caring personality. The Red Wing Republican Eagle reports that the
   daughter of a United Methodist pastor is using her big heart and artistic
   gifts to raise money to fight malaria. She also got her 5-year-old brother,
   Mathias, involved in the effort.

    [21]Read full story»

10-Fold displays church's global reach

   NEW YORK (UMNS) - The United Methodist Church will begin a 10-day multimedia
   experience Oct. 10 as part of its 10-fold project, spotlighting 10 ways the
   church is making an impact worldwide - from planting churches to eliminating
   death and suffering from malaria. From Oct. 10-19, log on daily to
   10-fold.org to explore each day's featured project. The website will feature
   live webcasts, videos, stories as well as ways United Methodists can join
   the effort.
   For each click, sponsors will give $1 to the day's initiative.

    [22]Read full story»

Christian curriculum tackles immigration

   DENVER (UMNS) - Several United Methodist agencies and groups have helped
   fund a faith-based curriculum designed to guide groups with immigration
   discussion. The curriculum from the Colorado Council of Churches is called
   "Who is my neighbor?" and includes a DVD with four one-hour sessions, class
   activities and discussion suggestions. The curriculum costs $20.

    [23]Read full story»

   Did someone you know pass along this copy to you? Get your own copy
   [24]here.

      United Methodist News Service is a ministry of United Methodist
                              Communications.

               Ministries of United Methodist Communications:

             [25]Rethink Church
             [26]TechShop
             [27]EcuFilm
             [28]UMC.org
   Program Journals:
      [29]Interpreter Magazine
      [30]El' Interprete
      [31]United Methodists In Service
             [32]InfoServ
             [33]Kingswood Communications
   [34]United Methodist News Service
      [35]UM Audio
      [36]UMTV
             [37]Foundation for United Methodist Communications
             [38]United Methodist Communications International
             [39]Global Health Initiative

          Products & Services of United Methodist Communications:

                     [40]Crisis Communications
                     [41]Communications Training
                     [42]Program Calendars
                     [43]United Methodist Press Center
                     [44]Scholarships
   [45]Promotional Resources for Apportionments, Special Sundays and Designated
   Giving
                     [46]United Methodist Productions

       [47]http://umns.umc.org | [48]Privacy Policy | [49]Contact Us

 If you are reading a pass-along copy of this issue, please go here to start
                your own account: [50]UMNS Subscriber Form.
United Methodist Communications Address: 810 12th Ave S, Nashville, TN 37203

   [51]Unsubscribe from this mailing. [4936947944.gif]