Editorial: Revelations for stewards

From "Taiwan Church News" <enews@pctpress.org>
Date Fri, 23 Sep 2011 16:53:26 +0800

3108 Edition

September 19-25, 2011

Editorial

Editorial: Revelations for stewards

Translated by Lydia Ma

In 1 Peter 4:10-11, Peter instructs Christians that they are all good stewards.
He said, “each one should use whatever gift he has received to serve others,
faithfully administering God’s grace in its various forms.” This familiar
passage reminds us to be faithful and savvy servants of God by managing and
caring for God’s creation.

A look at how Taiwan has responded to this call through national events that
occurred throughout this year shows us that we have fallen far short. All 4
nuclear reactors in Taiwan have had problems, malfunctions, and accidents this
year. The problems reported about each site are predilections for us all and a
good reason for PCT to campaign against creating nuclear wastes storage
facilities at the expense of the environment.

Besides the environment, we must also look within churches – especially church
organizations – and check how their leaders are doing as stewards. In this
season of installations, they need to be reminded of the importance of guarding
what God has entrusted to their care.

But when all is said and done, what it means to be a good steward and how to
become one are topics that have yet to garner unanimity. In real life, church
politics, petty rivalry and the like have raised their ugly heads often and
become a source of gossip for mainstream society.

We must remember that, at the end of the day, stewards come in all shapes and
sizes, temperaments and callings. Under such circumstances, to disagree is
common. However, only by learning to pursue God’s will and serving one another,
will we honor God in all that we do.

A look at what it means to be a steward from a personal level, we could say
that a good steward isn’t someone who locks himself up within church walls. The
world outside the church, including nature, social infrastructures, political
affairs, environmental protection, and all other activities some people call
“worldly” are all God’s creation entrusted to our care. The crux of the matter
is that if we don’t get involved and raise our voices in these matters so that
God’s will can be shown, we would be failing in our calling as God’s stewards.

It’s with this in mind that we return to PCT’s confession of faith, which
includes the following statement: “We believe that God has given human beings
dignity, talents and a homeland, so that they may share in God's creation, and
have responsibility with Him for taking care of the world. Therefore, they have
social, political and economic systems, arts and sciences, and a spirit which
seeks after the true God.” This statement clearly indicates our identity as
stewards of God called to testify to the world and bring glory to God.

Taiwan Church News is published weekly in Taiwan's local languages.

You may translate and re-use our articles online only if you acknowledge the
source as "Taiwan Church News" and list the names of the reporter and writer.
Contact us before reprinting any of our articles for print publications.

Direct comments and questions about this article to: enews@pctpress.org

Visit our website for more news at: http://enews.pctpress.org/ (English) or
http://www.pctpress.org (Chinese)