ELCA Bishop Extends Support For Lutherans In Jordan, Holy Land

From <NEWS@ELCA.ORG>
Date Fri, 23 Sep 2011 15:36:48 -0500

Title: ELCA Bishop Extends Support For Lutherans In Jordan, Holy Land
ELCA NEWS SERVICE

>September 23, 2011

ELCA Bishop Extends Support For Lutherans In Jordan, Holy Land
11-124-MG

CHICAGO (ELCA) - The presiding bishop of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in
America (ELCA), Mark S. Hanson, sent a letter on Sept.  22 to Bishop Munib
Younan and the Evangelical Lutheran Church in Jordan and the Holy Land
(ELCJHL), expressing the support of this church for a two-state solution of the
Israeli-Palestinian conflict.

Hanson drafted the letter in response to growing tensions in the Middle East as
Palestine submitted a formal proposal for full membership in the United
Nations. The United Nations Security Council is expected to consider the
request next week.

"As leaders of government debate Palestinian membership in the United Nations,
we want you to know of our continued commitment to accompany you on the road to
a just two-state solution of the Israeli-Palestinian conflict," Hanson wrote.
He noted the ELCA's commitment runs deeper than national interest and reflects
"active engagement in Palestine and Israel as it is articulated in the ELCA
Peace Not Walls Campaign."

Earlier in the week Hanson wrote to President Barack Obama, asking the United
States not to block an initiative to admit Palestine as a member state of the
United Nations. Such a move, the bishop observed, would be acting not only in
the best interests of the United States, but of all people in the region.

Outbreaks of violence have been escalating in the region, especially around
security checkpoints, which have raised concerns about the 14 ELCA missionaries
currently supporting the work of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in Jordan and
the Holy Land. Robert O. Smith, area program director for the Middle East and
North Africa, and coordinator of the Peace Not Walls campaign, reported that
the ELCA has been involved in security and contingency planning for several
weeks.

"We are concerned not only for the safety and security of our ELCA
missionaries, but for the well-being of our companions in the ELCJHL and all
persons who may be caught in potentially dangerous situations," Smith said.
"Our Young Adults in Global Mission are especially concerned for the safety and
security of the Muslim and Christian children they accompany every day in the
schools."

Of the 14 ELCA missionaries serving in East Jerusalem and the West Bank, five
are long-term missionaries, six are Young Adults in Global Mission and three
are with The Lutheran World Federation program in Jerusalem.

The ELCJHL and the ELCA are members of The Lutheran World Federation, a global
communion with 145 member churches in 79 countries representing over 70 million
Lutherans.

"At such a time it is important to reach out to sisters and brothers in the
Evangelical Lutheran Church in Jordan and the Holy Land," said Hanson. "For the
unity we share in Christ is stronger than all the forces that might divide us.
That unity calls for our public witness as we join with other Christians, Jews
and Muslims advocating for a lasting and just two-state solution for Israel and
Palestine. It compels us to reject violence by any party to the conflict."

The presiding bishop said, "It is my hope that ELCA members are praying for
peace even as they deepen their awareness of the issues and advocate for a
peaceful and just resolution. We join with Muslims, Jews and other Christians
trusting it is God's will to hold heaven and earth in a single peace."

>www.ELCA.org/peacenotwalls

https://www.ELCA.org/Our-Faith-In-Action/Justice/Advocacy/Issues/Israel-Palestine.aspx
About the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America (ELCA)
The ELCA is one of the largest Christian denominations in the United States,
with approximately 4.2 million members in more than 10,000 congregations across
the 50 states and in the Caribbean region. Known as the church of "God's work.
Our hands," the ELCA emphasizes the saving grace of God through faith in Jesus
Christ, unity among Christians and service in the world. The ELCA's roots are
in the writings of the German church reformer, Martin Luther.

For information contact:

Marianne Griebler, 773-380-2968 or news@elca.org
http://www.elca.org/news
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/Lutherans