PCT Youth Ministry reflects on 2011 ecumenical programs’ successes and lessons

From "Taiwan Church News" <enews@pctpress.org>
Date Tue, 1 Nov 2011 14:51:53 +0800

3113 Edition

October 24-30, 2011

General Assembly News

PCT Youth Ministry reflects on 2011 ecumenical programs’ successes and lessons

Reported by Sam Lee

Written by Lydia Ma

Ecumenical exchanges have always been at the forefront of PCT Youth Ministries
and 2011 has been a busy and exciting year for ecumenical exchanges. To help
PCT organize future events, a meeting for staff and participants of this year’s
many exchange programs was held on October 21-23, 2011.

One recurring theme during this meeting was that Taiwanese youths who took part
in these programs came back with a better understanding of their identity.
Having met young people from other countries and having conversed with them,
Taiwanese youths learned from these interactions that the term “Republic of
China” was a foreign and illusive name for many people around the world. As
result, they came to understand the importance of Taiwan’s plight to gain
international recognition and the importance of nurturing the next generation
to be informed citizens.

Chu Mu-jen, a student majoring in earth sciences at National Cheng Kung
University who went to this year’s WCC sponsored International Ecumenical Peace
Convocation (IEPC) in Jamaica in May, recounted how he was questioned for one
hour by immigration officers at the airport in Jamaica because officials there
didn’t recognize “Republic of China” passports. “This turned out to be an
opportunity for foreigners to know about Taiwan’s international predicament.
Thought a lot of people may not be familiar with Taiwan, its existence and
predicament are undeniable,” Chu said.

The group concluded that 2011 had been a busy and productive year for PCT youth
ministry. It included highlights such as a visit from Presbyterian Church in
India’s Mizoram Synod Choir, “I Love Taiwan Mission” camp, Youth Conference on
“PCT Statement of our National Fate”, CWM conference in July in Singapore, as
well as participation in WCC’s IEPC conference in Jamaica. Next year, PCT Youth
Ministry Committee plans to send delegates to youth exchange programs in
Thailand, India, New Zealand, Canada, Japan, and also hopes to welcome youths
from all over the world for “I Love Taiwan Mission” camp.

Taiwan Church News is published weekly in Taiwan's local languages.

You may translate and re-use our articles online only if you acknowledge the
source as "Taiwan Church News" and list the names of the reporter and writer.
Contact us before reprinting any of our articles for print publications.

Direct comments and questions about this article to: enews@pctpress.org

Visit our website for more news at: http://enews.pctpress.org/ (English) or
http://www.tcnn.org (Chinese)