Children express their hearts’ desires ahead of presidential elections

From "Taiwan Church News" <enews@pctpress.org>
Date Wed, 16 Nov 2011 14:51:13 +0800

3116 Edition

November 14-20

Headline News

Children express their hearts’ desires ahead of presidential elections

Reported by Chiou Kuo-rong

Written by Lydia Ma

“If I were President, I would improve public order so that those dearest to me
and innocent people wouldn’t be harmed. I would make sure that they wouldn’t be
afraid to leave their homes or go to school,” said a 10-year-old girl.

She expressed her heart-cry at an event sponsored by Taiwan Fund for Children
and Families (TFCF), a Christian organization, wherein 2,335 school-aged
children across Taiwan were polled randomly in a survey called “Children’s
heart-cry questionnaire.” Survey results carry a margin of error at 95% level
of confidence.

The report discovered that more than 70% of children thought they weren’t
physically healthy enough. Of these children, their top 5 worries included
public safety, bullying at school, sexual harassment, the national education
system, and intense academic pressures experienced my students nationwide.

Following this survey, TFCF called a press conference on November 9, 2011,
where some of the children sampled were asked the same question. The press
conference drew attention as it was held barely 2 months before Taiwan’s
presidential elections.

One young girl said, “If I were President, I would find a way for little kids
to live happily every day and not have to worry about facing so much pressure
that they can’t sleep well at night, or suffer nightmares, headaches, and
stomachaches. I would give people time and space to decompress.

“Children’s heart-cry questionnaire” also indicated that 83% of children didn’t
feel safe and worried about safety. It also indicated that 33% of school
children had witnessed bullying at school.

Based on this survey, TFCF created a summary entitled “The top 5 sources of
pressure children face.” In this summary, the top 5 sources of pressure were,
in decreasing order, worsening social order and decreasing age in young
offenders, bullying on school grounds, public safety in face of increasing
sexual assaults cases, concerns that what is learned at school will not be
applicable in life, and spending long hours at school coupled with excessive
homework and testing.