PCT General Secretary’s photography showcased in Anselm Gruen’s new book

From "Taiwan Church News" <enews@pctpress.org>
Date Wed, 16 Nov 2011 18:08:28 +0800

3116 Edition

November 14-20, 2011

Church Ministry News

PCT General Secretary’s photography showcased in Anselm Gruen’s new book

Reported by Chen Yi-hsuan

Written by Lydia Ma

Andrew Chang says he often sees a little bit of God’s image in children’s
laughter and the great outdoors. Though most people know him as the current
General Secretary of the Presbyterian Church in Taiwan, what they don’t know is
that one of his hobbies and skills is photography.

Attracted by the beauty of creation, Chang’s photography is mostly about
capturing the beauty of creation and life that is often missed in the busyness
of daily life. “If we’d really take time to notice the beauty of things, we’d
find that the world is more beautiful than we thought,” he said.

Chang said he has yet to take any formal training in photography, adding
half-jokingly that technical terms such as aperture and shutter are still
foreign to him, to the surprise of many of his fans. Asked about how he became
so good at photography, he recounted how he began using photography to share
the gospel a few years ago through the promptings from a friend. His friend had
suggested that he post some photos of clouds alongside some Bible verses he was
sharing at the time about clouds. As result, he began taking more and more
photos and became better the more he practiced and posted photos on the
internet alongside Bible verses.

Because Chang is fond of sharing his faith and the his love for Taiwan on the
internet, photography has become a great tool for him to get his message across
in a way that will appeal to his readers. Photography also opened up a forum
for viewers to share their thoughts with him.

“There’s no standard formula for sharing the gospel. However, don’t use too
much church jargon around non-Christians,” Chang said, adding that he normally
only quotes a few verses that come to his mind that match the theme of the
picture being posted. In response, his fans have commented that whenever they
press “like” or leave a comment, they feel compelled to thank God also.

“25 Haltungen Als Weg Zu Gelingender Begegnun” is a new book that has been
translated into Chinese, featuring Chang’s photography alongside Anselm Gruen’s
writing. The book was published in September 2011. To view some of the photos
in this book, readers may log into Facebook and search the General Secretary’s
page under his Chinese name – “張德謙”.

Taiwan Church News is published weekly in Taiwan's local languages.

You may translate and re-use our articles online only if you acknowledge the
source as "Taiwan Church News" and list the names of the reporter and writer.
Contact us before reprinting any of our articles for print publications.

Direct comments and questions about this article to: enews@pctpress.org

Visit our website for more news at: http://enews.pctpress.org/ (English) or
http://www.tcnn.org (Chinese)