Editorial: Clergy – moral conscience of the church; Congregation – moral conscience of society

From "Taiwan Church News" <enews@pctpress.org>
Date Mon, 21 Nov 2011 16:11:38 +0800

3116 Edition

November 14-20, 2011

Editorial

Editorial: Clergy – moral conscience of the church; Congregation – moral
conscience of society

Translated by Lydia Ma

Every third Sunday in November is traditionally set aside to celebrate Taiwan
Theological College and Seminary (TTCS)as per PCT General Assembly’s calendar.
The purpose of setting aside such occasions is to call to the attention of PCT
congregations to pray and financially support certain PCT ministries. In the
case of TTCS, prayers and donations go a long way in enabling it train
seminarians to stay rooted to this land and serve this country’s inhabitants.
In doing so, PCT ministries will continue to shine as a sign of hope in Taiwan.

The gist of theological training is to nurture and train clergy members before
they go into the mission field to fulfill their calling. However, such a
training is also a legacy left by old missionaries of the past which continues
to exert its influence on us today. Now, the baton has been passed to us and
seminaries need our help in ensuring that the gospel gets passed down to
younger generations who will continue the work of being positive influencers in
Taiwanese society.

Theologian Jaroslav Pelikan once said, “Tradition is the living faith of the
dead. Traditionalism is the dead faith of the living.” By this he reminds us
that though the legacies of old missionaries still live on in Taiwan, we should
be careful that these memories and our religious traditions don’t become like
policies set in stone and thus hamper us from using new means to reach this
generation.

Our faith should be renewed daily as it is the basis of our relationship with
God. This is especially true for people who’ve received a special calling to
become clergy. For clergy members, God’s word motivates their ministry, daily
quiet times and prayers help them understand God’s will, and theological
training trains them in teaching and transforming their flock. When pastors
become influencers by being the moral conscience of their congregations, their
flocks are in turn able to become the light and salt of their respective
communities.

PCT seminaries are currently in the process of applying for accreditation with
the Ministry of Education. Our hope is that we can influence Taiwanese society
more extensively. Over the years, TTCS has trained many people within the PCT
for full-time and part-time ministry and it has been able fulfill its calling
well thanks to the prayers and financial contributions of churches and PCT
members. TTCS graduates have gone on to become an integral part of PCT
evangelistic ministries in Taiwan and abroad. Their training at TTCS has
enabled them to become active and pioneering participants in the ecumenical
world. It is our plea that you will remember TTCS in your prayers and financial
offerings.

Taiwan Church News is published weekly in Taiwan's local languages.

You may translate and re-use our articles online only if you acknowledge the
source as "Taiwan Church News" and list the names of the reporter and writer.
Contact us before reprinting any of our articles for print publications.

Direct comments and questions about this article to: enews@pctpress.org

Visit our website for more news at: http://enews.pctpress.org/ (English) or
http://www.tcnn.org (Chinese)