PCC praises PCT rescue and relief ministries and considers them as useful reference

From "Taiwan Church News" <enews@pctpress.org>
Date Tue, 29 Nov 2011 15:05:01 +0800

3117 Edition
November 21-27, 2011

General Assembly News

PCC praises PCT rescue and relief ministries and considers them as useful
reference

Reported by Lin Yi-ying

Written by Lydia Ma

Pastors and members from the Presbyterian Church in Canada (PCC) recently
visited the PCT to learn more about its ministries and discovered that they
were most impressed by PCT’s 88 Flood Rescue and Response system. After the PCC
delegation listened to reports detailing how local presbyteries and churches
worked with the General Assembly in coordinating response and aid, they felt
that this system was indeed effective and a great model for churches.

“What we did was that we asked affected presbyteries to tell us what they
needed based on what they heard from their own local churches,” PCT Associate
General Secretary Lyim Hong-tiong said. “When the General Assembly heard back
from the presbyteries, we immediately set up an instant information network. We
were able to have presbyteries not affected by the typhoon help out
presbyteries that were affected while we served as a coordinator behind the
scenes.”

The PCC delegation arrived to Taiwan on November 11, 2011 and in the two weeks
that they spent in Taiwan, they had the opportunity to visit PCT business and
educational organizations to learn about PCT ministries in Taiwan. When they
visited the General Assembly Office, PCT General Secretary Andrew Chang gave an
overview of PCT’s history and ministries in Taiwan while Lyim gave an overview
of PCT’s relief efforts in the aftermath of Typhoon Morakot. Following Lyim’s
presentation, Pine Life (senior citizens) Ministry Committee Secretary Lee
Fong-jiao gave a presentation of PCT’s ministries seniors.

PCC pastors were astounded that PCT was able to accomplish so much and rally so
much support in a church structure that places the onus on local presbyteries.
“The key is communication and respect,” explained Lyim. He added that before
the General Assembly started post-Morakot relief and rebuilding projects, it
had already conducted various protracted meetings with presbyteries. In
deference to the existing church structure, it was the affected presbyteries
that assembled a list of needs upon contacting their own local congregations
and reported their needs to the General Assembly. The latter then moved on to
provide and coordinate material and personnel assistance as needed.

Similarly, once local rebuilding centers were built, the chief coordinators and
decision-makers were also the local presbyteries because, from the beginning,
the General Assembly’s role was a supportive one. Lyim stressed that once
presbyteries had established lines of communication and could coordinate
amongst themselves without the help of the General Assembly, the latter’s job
was considered complete. “This is an important turning point!” he said.

In response, PCC leaders said they were impressed by how the PCT managed to
strengthen lines of communication within the context of the Presbyterian church
structure and expressed their affirmation. They also felt that PCT’s
experience, especially with regards to collaboration between the General
Assembly and the presbyteries and enabling the general assembly to realize its
goals, was a model for the PCC to emulate in propelling its own ministries.

One of the PCT affiliate organizations that this PCC delegation visited on this
tour was Taiwan Church Press. Led by retired PCC minister and current PCT
volunteer Rev. Sidney Chang, the group listened to a brief presentation of this
organization and asked some questions. They were especially impressed by Taiwan
Church News, a newspaper started by Rev. Thomas Barclay in 1885. The newspaper
later went on to become Taiwan’s first newspaper and continues publishing
weekly editions to this day.

Taiwan Church News is published weekly in Taiwan's local languages.

You may translate and re-use our articles online only if you acknowledge the
source as "Taiwan Church News" and list the names of the reporter and writer.
Contact us before reprinting any of our articles for print publications.

Direct comments and questions about this article to: enews@pctpress.org

Visit our website for more news at: http://enews.pctpress.org/ (English) or
http://www.tcnn.org (Chinese)