Mackay Memorial Hospital welcomes Yang Yu-cheng as new superintendent

From "Taiwan Church News" <enews@pctpress.org>
Date Fri, 6 Jan 2012 10:18:06 +0800

3123 Edition

January 2-8, 2012

General Assembly News

Mackay Memorial Hospital welcomes Yang Yu-cheng as new superintendent

Reported by Lin Yi-ying

Written by Lydia Ma

“I was an intern at Mackay Hospital in 1972, my daughter was born here years
later with me as the attending physician, my grandfather and my father were
treated at this hospital during their lifetime and later passed away here. God
willing, I hope to spend the rest of my life here,” said Yang Yu-cheng during
his installation address on December 29, 2011 after being elected as the 18th
Superintendent of Mackay Memorial Hospital.

Yang added that Mackay Hospital had played a crucial nurturing role throughout
his life and it was at this hospital that he heard the gospel and accepted
Christ. He promised to work with hospital staff and the board of directors to
ensure that Mackay Hospital would become a warm and friendly place for patients
and a close-knit community for hospital staff. Yang also thanked his
predecessor, the outgoing superintendent Tsai Cheng-ho, and prayed that God
would bless Tsai and his family in their future endeavors.

PCT General Assembly Moderator Chiohh Lyiam-syian preached at this installation
and thanksgiving service and used Romans 12:1-2 to speak about the challenges
of serving God. Following his sermon, Tsai handed over the official seal of the
superintendent to Yang and Yang gave Tsai a plaque in return to thank him for
his service.

During his farewell address, Tsai especially thanked the staff at the
Department of Health and the Presbyterian Church in Taiwan for their support
and prayers. Looking back at his four-year term, he said their support and
prayers helped him to be a good steward of all that was entrusted to him. In
the past 4 years, Tsai managed to reduce expenditure and increase sources of
income for Mackay Hospital, enabling it to earn more than NT$2.6 billion in
income and win several national awards.

“I will love people with a heart of humility, not relying on power or talent,
but on God. I pray that the Holy Spirit will guide me,” said Yang during his
installation address. He also thanked the board of directors, Tsai, and the
hospital staff for strengthening the hospital’s foundations and promised to
carry on the legacy left by Rev. George Leslie Mackay as well as to fortify the
partnership between the hospital and its affiliated organizations, such as the
Mackay Medical School and the Mackay Medicine, Nursing, and Management College.

During his congratulatory speech, former Executive Yuan President Frank Hsieh
remarked that this installation ceremony was a stark contrast to political
installation ceremonies he’d attended in the past. He explained that at
installation ceremonies in politics, the new administration looks psyched while
the outgoing administration looks crestfallen. However, at institutions such as
Mackay Hospital, the outgoing administration looks relieved and confident while
the incoming administration looks heavy-laden.

Hsieh added that he was very touched by Yang’s speech and could sense from
listening to it that the hospital was indeed a place with a mission to love and
care for Taiwanese people.

Taiwan Church News is published weekly in Taiwan's local languages.

You may translate and re-use our articles online only if you acknowledge the
source as "Taiwan Church News" and list the names of the reporter and writer.
Contact us before reprinting any of our articles for print publications.

Direct comments and questions about this article to: enews@pctpress.org

Visit our website for more news at: http://enews.pctpress.org/ (English) or
http://www.tcnn.org (Chinese)