Editorial: Use your vote to start anew

From "Taiwan Church News" <enews@pctpress.org>
Date Fri, 6 Jan 2012 10:19:41 +0800

3123 Edition

January 2-8, 2012

Editorial

Editorial: Use your vote to start anew

Translated by Lydia Ma

According to a CNN report, 59 of the world’s 193 countries will hold elections
in the year 2012 – a figure that amounts to one-third of the countries of the
world. No matter where they are held, these elections will impact the lives of
53% of the world’s population. 2012 is an election year for Taiwan as well,
with the presidential and legislative elections scheduled for January 14.

The campaign season in Taiwan has reached its final chapter this week.
Candidates are pulling out all the stops to impress and convince people to vote
for them while warning supporters about possible dirty tricks from the opposite
camp, which could jeopardize their hard-won support.

As Christians living in this world, we are not immune to the political and
economic troubles of our day. Our involvement in social issues is inevitable.
In the past few months, we’ve seen the infamous “compulsory no-pay leave” issue
make a comeback and force many manual laborers to stay at home. We’ve also seen
a legislator support the idea of spraying water on homeless people to drive
them out of sight.

As if these news items weren’t disheartening enough, this campaign season has
been marred with a series of controversies. The Ma administration has not only
failed to fulfill previous campaign promises, but it has also resorted to using
the Yu Chang Biologics Co. scandal to attack DPP Presidential candidate Tsai
Ing-wen at the expense of Taiwan’s bio-technology industry. In another scandal,
it abused its power by calling on the investigating bureau, which is funded by
taxpayers, to spy on Tsai. Even the PCT was smeared and slandered by the KMT at
one point during this election campaign.

All of these instances are unfortunate examples of the negative aspects of
politics. We hope that Taiwanese people will use their votes to give Taiwan a
clean slate and a fresh start. We also pray that God’s justice will reign in
this land.

God reigns over creation and the history of mankind. He reigns over everything
that exists in this world. Though the Church has been called by God to save
souls from sin by proclaiming the gospel, this is not all that God has called
us to do. He has also called us to speak out based on our understanding of his
will wherever he places us, so that his love can be channeled through us.

The PCT has been speaking out since the 1970s, in spite of the dangers of doing
so during the Martial Law era. When the PCT issued 3 renowned statements,
proclaiming that the Taiwanese people would determine Taiwan’s future through
the virtues of democracy, it did so at great risk and despite ridicule from
other church denominations. However, a look at Taiwan’s democracy today proves
that the PCT was leading the nation into the right path. A review of the rights
we enjoy today proves that the PCT did indeed discern God’s will correctly then
and fulfilled its prophetic mission.

Old Testament prophets such as Isaiah, Amos, and Micah received and proclaimed
God’s words. They discerned the times in which they lived in and advanced God’s
justice during their lifetime in the land where they dwelled. Through these
prophets, God’s people learned that God wanted them to live out their faith by
advancing justice, fairness, and human rights, and changing prevailing values
and institutions so that God’s will would be done on earth as in heaven.

In light of these new realities facing Taiwan today, the PCT is determined to
stand by its convictions. We urge other churches in Taiwan to change and not
remain aloof when it comes to politics. It is our hope that Taiwanese will
support candidates that “act justly, love mercy, and walk humbly” and who
“support and protect Taiwan’s sovereignty”.

Taiwan Church News is published weekly in Taiwan's local languages.

You may translate and re-use our articles online only if you acknowledge the
source as "Taiwan Church News" and list the names of the reporter and writer.
Contact us before reprinting any of our articles for print publications.

Direct comments and questions about this article to: enews@pctpress.org

Visit our website for more news at: http://enews.pctpress.org/ (English) or
http://www.tcnn.org (Chinese)