Several pastors attend fundraiser dinner in Tainan in support of Tsai Ing-wen and clean electionsW

From "Taiwan Church News" <enews@pctpress.org>
Date Mon, 16 Jan 2012 10:52:57 +0800

3124 Edition

January 9-15, 2012

Headline News

Several pastors attend fundraiser dinner in Tainan in support of Tsai Ing-wen
and clean elections

Reported by Chen Yi-hsuan

Written by Lydia Ma

Association of Tainan Residents for Taiwan sponsored a fundraising dinner and
symposium on January 8, 2012 on the topic of “The Taiwan Consensus and Taiwan’s
Future”. The organization renowned for its support of rule-of-law, democracy,
freedom, and righteousness in Taiwan invited Tainan City Mayor William Lai and
former PCT General Secretary C.M. Kao to be the speakers of this event. Various
pastors in Tainan area also attended the fundraiser, including Tainan
Presbytery Moderator Rev. Song Hsin-hsi. They attended the event to show their
support and urged folks to “support Tsai Ing-wen as Taiwan’s first woman
president!”

During the fundraiser, Lai criticized the Ma administration for its mediocre
performance these past 3 years and compared President Ma’s promises to bounced
checks. Lai underscored that of the 20 campaign promises made my President Ma
concerning Tainan City during his first presidential campaign years ago, none
of them were kept. He cited as example the President’s promise to remove toll
stations in Baihe District and Hsin-shih District, which are still in operation
today. “Not only is he incompetent, he is also very proud,” said Lai.

Kao spoke on “The Taiwan Consensus and Taiwan’s Future” and shared his thoughts
on the upcoming elections. He openly urged people to support DPP presidential
candidate Tsai Ing-wen and gave his reasons. Kao said he believed that though
Tsai came from a wealthy family, her demeanor reflected that she didn’t have a
big ego and she wasn’t a typical politician prone to hand out empty promises.

Kao added that Tsai had an impressive educational background, including a
master’s degree in Legal Science from Cornell University and a doctorate in
Political Economy from London School of Economics. Tsai also possessed sharp
negotiation skills which she acquired from being appointed as Minister of
Mainland Affairs Council. Based on her educational and career experiences, Kao
was confident that Tsai would be a good negotiator and keep the peace across
the Taiwan Strait.

Kao said that what he most admired about Tsai was her character for she cared
about ordinary people and walked in their shoes. Her empathy toward recent
graduates, the unemployed, and marginalized groups proved that she had a kind
and humble heart. “Jesus once said that the greatest person is the one who
serves others with a servant heart!” Kao reflected.

Kao underscored that the Taiwan Consensus was proof that Tsai had heard the
voice of Taiwanese people about wanting to be masters of their own country
instead of being second-class citizens or worse of China. “I support Tsai
Ing-wen in her bid to become the first woman president of Taiwan!” Kao said.

Responding the likelihood of KMT representatives engaging in vote-buying,
Association of Tainan Residents for Taiwan CEO, Huang Te-cheng, said that in
case such representatives came knocking, Taiwanese citizens should ask them to
put the bills inside an envelope directly and thus secure sample fingerprints
when reporting such offences to local authorities. He added that reporting such
offences could lead to NT$500,000 in cash reward.

Tainan Presbytery Moderator Rev. Song Hsin-hsi also voiced his support for Tsai
Ing-wen. He warned Christians against being near-sighted and added that
choosing a wrong candidate now could result in the next generation having to
pay a hefty price. “We must have clean elections. We must have a president who
loves Taiwan, respects Taiwan’s sovereignty, does justice, loves mercy, and
values human rights!”

Taiwan Church News is published weekly in Taiwan's local languages.

You may translate and re-use our articles online only if you acknowledge the
source as "Taiwan Church News" and list the names of the reporter and writer.
Contact us before reprinting any of our articles for print publications.

Direct comments and questions about this article to: enews@pctpress.org

Visit our website for more news at: http://enews.pctpress.org/ (English) or
http://www.tcnn.org (Chinese)