Canadian observer team arrives to Taiwan in time for 2012 elections

From "Taiwan Church News" <enews@pctpress.org>
Date Mon, 16 Jan 2012 16:47:57 +0800

3124 Edition

January 9-15, 2012

Headline News

Canadian observer team arrives to Taiwan in time for 2012 elections

Reported by Chen Yi-hsuan, Lydia Ma

Written by Lydia Ma

A delegation of Canadians were invited by the Independent Committee for a Fair
Election in Taiwan to come to Taiwan and observe the presidential and
legislative elections slated January 14, 2012. Some members of this delegation
include Taiwanese Human Rights Association of Canada President Michael
Stainton, former Deputy Speaker of the House of Commons Hon. Bill Blaikie,
Deputy General-Secretary of the Canadian Council of Churches Dr. Peter
Noteboom, former Dean of Vancouver School of Theology Rev. Ted Siverns, and
former President of World Council of Churches and Moderator of the United
Church of Canada Rev. Dr. Lois Wilson.

During an exclusive interview with Ted Siverns, who had previously taught at
Tainan Theological College and Seminary as a visiting professor for one year,
he told Taiwan Church News that the most important task for this delegation was
to observe and report any abnormalities and accomplishments observed throughout
the election process.

When asked about his opinion on this election, Siverns underscored the
importance of remaining neutral as an observer. But added that if he could
offer any advice to Taiwanese voters, it would be to think beyond “what’s in it
for me” and care more about what would be good of our neighbors and our country.

Siverns also said he was very touched and impressed to see so many overseas
Taiwanese flying back to Taiwan to vote in this election and demonstrate their
concern for Taiwan’s future. However, as a pastor who had frequent interactions
with Taiwanese-Canadians, he also noticed the difference between
first-generation Taiwanese-Canadians and second-generation Taiwanese-Canadians
in terms of concern for Taiwan’s future. He said that second-generation
Taiwanese-Canadians are similar to Taiwanese youths nowadays, not caring very
much about Taiwanese politics or the future of Taiwan.

When asked about how people would evaluate the success of a government
administration in Western countries, Siverns said that, in the past, economic
markers were the only criteria used. However, this trend has changed in recent
years and more and more people have come up with different criteria, including
“Gross National Happiness”. But for the Church, some important criteria in
evaluating an administration’s success would include decrease in poverty,
increase in religious freedom, etc. Siverns added that though many people would
argue that churches shouldn’t participate in politics, Christians should still
care about social justice.

Taiwan Church News is published weekly in Taiwan's local languages.

You may translate and re-use our articles online only if you acknowledge the
source as "Taiwan Church News" and list the names of the reporter and writer.
Contact us before reprinting any of our articles for print publications.

Direct comments and questions about this article to: enews@pctpress.org

Visit our website for more news at: http://enews.pctpress.org/ (English) or
http://www.tcnn.org (Chinese)