WCC NEWS: WCC expresses condolence over Kang Young-sup’s passing away

From WCC media <noreply@wcc-coe.org>
Date Mon, 23 Jan 2012 18:25:42 +0100

World Council of Churches - News

WCC EXPRESSES CONDOLENCE OVER KANG YOUNG-SUP’S PASSING AWAY

For immediate release: 23 January 2012

On behalf of the member churches, the World Council of Churches (WCC)
general secretary Rev. Dr Olav Fykse Tveit expressed deep sorrow over the
passing away of Rev. Kang Young-sup on 21 Januray, a great Christian
leader, whose efforts for the reunification of the Korean peninsula have
been significant throughout his life.

Kang Young-sup was the chairman of the Central Committee of the Korean
Christian Federation (KCF), and had a long standing relationship with the
WCC. He actively participated in several ecumenical programmes for peace
and reconciliation on the Korean peninsula initiated by the Commission of
the Churches on International Affairs (Link:
http://www.oikoumene.org/index.php?RDCT=c129141072711ad440c0 ).

“As a patriotic religious leader in the Democratic People’s Republic of
Korea, Rev. Kang Young-sup played an important role in nation building, as
well as in working for peace and reconciliation on the divided Korean
peninsula,” said Tveit in his letter to Rev. Oh Kyung Woo, general
secretary of the KCF.

Tveit acknowledged Young-sup’s great contribution to the ecumenical
movement and admired his commitment to peace and reconciliation in the
Korean peninsula.

“We thank God for the life and witness of Rev. Kang Young-sup. We convey
our heartfelt condolences to the bereaved family, and to the members of
Central Committee of the KCF,” stated Tveit in the letter.

The National Council of Churches in Korea (Link:
http://www.oikoumene.org/index.php?RDCT=afc0c560071070543bca ) also expressed
sorrow over Young-sup’s
passing away, and reaffirmed their commitment to continue with his mission
for peace and reunification in North and South Korea.

“Remembering his desire, the NCCK will do its best in our journey toward
peace and reunification on the Korean peninsula as the great task of our
nation through continuous cooperation in solidarity of the KCF,” said
Kim Young-Ju, general secretary of NCCK in his letter to KCF.

Read full text of the letter (Link:
http://www.oikoumene.org/index.php?RDCT=3c2a2f7b408ecd17223b )

WCC member churches in Korea (Link:
http://www.oikoumene.org/index.php?RDCT=948101285540b36e04e4 )

The World Council of Churches promotes Christian unity in faith, witness
and service for a just and peaceful world. An ecumenical fellowship of
churches founded in 1948, today the WCC brings together 349 Protestant,
Orthodox, Anglican and other churches representing more than 560 million
Christians in over 110 countries, and works cooperatively with the Roman
Catholic Church. The WCC general secretary is Rev. Dr Olav Fykse Tveit,
from the [Lutheran] Church of Norway. Headquarters: Geneva, Switzerland.

You receive this information as a subscriber of our media list. You are
registered as Worldwide with the address wfn-editors@wfn.org.
Click here to unsubscribe or change your distribution settings
(Link: http://www.oikoumene.org/index.php?RDCT=06dffe7c6252582a1c6b ).