Egyptian congregation’s action is a model for country’s future

From Martin_Gnanadason Daphne <Daphne.Martin_Gnanadason@wcrc.ch>
Date Wed, 25 Jan 2012 14:30:30 +0000

>World Communion of Reformed Churches
>News Release

Egyptian congregation’s action is a model for country’s future

As Egyptians gather today in Cairo’s Tahrir Square to mark the first anni
versary of the revolution that toppled the government of Hosni Mubarak, the
World Communion of Reformed Churches (WCRC) is holding up the example of a
Christian congregation that transformed its church into a field hospital t o
treat wounded Muslim and Christian protestors.

“People with medical expertise made themselves available and the church g ave
‘hospital’ space and refuge to Christians and Muslims alike,” say s the General
Secretary of the World Communion of Reformed Churches (WCRC),  Setri Nyomi.

The Jasr El Dobara church, located one block from Tahrir Square, became a g
athering place in January 2011 for protestors who were wounded and tired, e
arning the congregation the nickname “Church of the Revolution”.

“This is a model of the supportive and united community protestors were h oping
to create in their country. Today, one year on, it still stands as an  example
of cooperation between communities of faith,” Nyomi states.

“Those serving at the make-shift clinic and refuge made the words of Jesu s
‘Come to me all you who are heavy laden and I will give you rest’ com e alive,”
Nyomi adds.

During talks with the Evangelical Church of Egypt, Nyomi heard of concerns
about tension between some Muslim and Christian groups that has led to viol
ence, including destruction of worship spaces.

“Members of the church continue to pray for a nation which values all its
citizens no matter what their religion.  It is their hope that as Egypt ma ps
its democratic life going forward, it will be characterised by respect f or all
the religious communities and freedom to live and contribute to the  new
Egypt,” Nyomi reports.
In praising efforts of the Evangelical Church to participate in rebuilding  the
country, Nyomi says: “It is my hope that the emerging political leade rs will
value freedom of religion and will work hard at creating space for  all
Egyptians to participate fully in building a new Egypt in which the wel fare of
all is paramount.”

WCRC was created in June 2010 through a merger of the World Alliance of Ref
ormed Churches (WARC) and the Reformed Ecumenical Council (REC). Its 230 me
mber churches representing 80 million Christians are active worldwide in in
itiatives supporting economic, climate and gender justice, mission, and coo
peration among Christians of different traditions.