Local pastors say God is in control despite election results

From "Taiwan Church News" <enews@pctpress.org>
Date Fri, 27 Jan 2012 16:34:51 +0800

3125 Edition

January 16-22, 2012

Headline News

Local pastors say God is in control despite election results

Reported by Chen Yi-hsuan

Written by Lydia Ma

Despite the outcome of the January 14 elections in Taiwan, Taichung Justice
Action Church pastor, Rev. Tsai Chu-chieh said he feels calm and at peace with
such results. Knowing that many PCT members are unable to mask their
disappointment, he underscored that, “electing a president is temporary, but
God is eternal. A president cannot replace a religious belief. Democracy cannot
replace Christian faith.”

During Sunday service the morning after election day, Tsai said that if people
had hoped that their preferred presidential candidate would win and be their
protector, they might as well depend on this candidate’s bodyguards for their
well-being. Knowing that many Christians in his congregation are disappointed
and worried, he said it was fine to struggle with these emotions, “but don’t
let these things overtake our faith in God.”

As for his congregation’s concern that there were many irregularities and much
unfairness during this election, Tsai replied that “it’s not the first time
that we hear about dirty elections in Taiwan, but we must find a way to
eventually make elections clean.”

Three members from the Canadian Election Observer Group also attended this
worship service, including Taiwanese Human Rights Association of Canada
President Michael Stainton. Tsai chatted with them after the service and
offered his views on the results of this election.

He underscored 2 things worth pondering upon about this election; first,
politicians and voters had taken advantage of each other. He explained that
voters had used their votes to exchange something of equal value from the
candidates, which is a global phenomenon nowadays

Second, the lack of an adequate system to monitor the media is an glaring
problem in Taiwan. Tsai said that television networks were blatantly partisan
and campaigned fiercely through advertisements. “This is akin to legal
vote-buying. The people should have discerned this,” he said.

“This is God’s will and we can only accept it,” said Rev. Sung Hsin-hsi of
Jen-He Presbyterian Church in Tainan. He feels that it’s not easy to change
social values overnight, but churches are called to persevere according their
convictions nevertheless. “Taiwan is where we live,” he added. “We can’t give
up on Taiwan!”

United Church of Christ in Japan Tokyo Taiwan Church pastor, Rev. Li Meng-che,
returned to Taiwan with his wife in time to cast their ballots, and boarded a
plane to fly back to Tokyo immediately after voting. “I support Tsai Ing-wen
because her aspirations are in tune with my religious convictions,” he said.

Li added that his vote was a vote in support of justice and in support of an
environment conducive to holistic missions, rather than vote in support for any
specific political party. He underscored that if China were to rule over
Taiwan, evangelism would be prohibited.

and frustration on Facebook regarding DPP’s loss, Li said a time of grieving
was fitting, but encouraged them to wipe away their tears afterward and get
ready for the next battle to protect Taiwan.

Taiwan Church News is published weekly in Taiwan's local languages.

You may translate and re-use our articles online only if you acknowledge the
source as "Taiwan Church News" and list the names of the reporter and writer.
Contact us before reprinting any of our articles for print publications.

Direct comments and questions about this article to: enews@pctpress.org

Visit our website for more news at: http://enews.pctpress.org/ (English) or
http://www.tcnn.org (Chinese)