Editorial: Don’t pour new wine into old wineskins

From "Taiwan Church News" <enews@pctpress.org>
Date Mon, 6 Feb 2012 13:16:59 +0800

3127 Edition

January 30~February 5, 2012

Editorial

Editorial: Don’t pour new wine into old wineskins

Translated by Lydia Ma

The Ma administration recently announced that outgoing Council for Economic
Planning and Development (CEPD) Minister Christina Liu would become the new
Finance Minister while Minister without Portfolio Yiin Chii-ming would become
the new head of the CEPD. Liu made headlines in the final weeks of the
presidential campaign for attacking DPP presidential candidate Tsai Ing-wen and
accusing the latter of wrongdoing in what has become known as the
Yuchang/TaiMed case. Yiin, for his part, came under public scrutiny at one
point for violating administrative neutrality.

Both Liu and Yiin’s appointments were criticized by some legislators who said
these appointments were at best unoriginal and at worst political rewards from
President Ma Ying-jeou for services rendered during the presidential campaign.
As usual, there were also legislators who supported Ma’s picks and believed Liu
and Yiin were prime candidates who should be given a chance to succeed in their
new capacities.

It goes without saying that Ma, Liu and Yiin are very happy and satisfied with
the way things have turned out and they must be savoring their victory still.
The answer to the question of whether the Ma administration cares about the
feelings of nearly half of the Taiwanese population who didn’t vote for the
Ma-Wu ticket can be found in President Ma’s decision to stick with the status
quo. Given another chance to make a fresh start, President Ma has chosen to
pour new wine into old wineskins, which has inevitably resulted in further
division and concern.

In the gospels of Matthew, Mark, and Luke, Jesus used the parable of pouring
new wine into old wineskins and using new garment to patch an old garment to
allude that we are to get rid of old habits and old ways of thinking in order
to understand and embrace God’s ways, which are always new. He went on to
stress that using a new garment to patch an old garment will result in an
odd-looking garment and pouring new wine into old wineskins will result in the
bursting of these skins. In both scenarios, the combination of new and old
inevitably results in a worse scenario.

How does this parable apply to Taiwan’s situation today? Despite much
controversy surrounding the presidential campaign, the KMT narrowly defeated
the DPP in this recent election and secured another 4-year term for the Ma
administration. But just as the electorate was hoping for a humbled President
Ma to lead the nation forward by allaying opposition, they were greeted with
news of political appointments signaling the contrary. No wonder some people
have characterized these appointments as “hardly refreshing” and mere
“political rewards for services rendered.”

Perhaps a look at Luke 5:39 can give us some answers. After Jesus said that new
wine ought to be poured into new wineskins, he said: “And no one after drinking
old wine wants the new, for they say, ‘The old is better.’” From these words we
can conclude that, oftentimes, it's easier to revel in the sweetness of victory
and the comfort of the status quo than to challenge oneself to start anew every
day.

In times like these, it's our Christian responsibility to show Taiwanese
society how a person can become a new creation by putting their faith in Jesus
Christ. As new creations, we must  get rid of old, earthly ways and embrace
new, godly ways and take an active role in creating God's kingdom on earth.

Taiwan needs people to cooperate with one another to get rid of discrimination
against marginalized groups and achieve co-prosperity. Churches can take
initiative by working together and supporting one another, as well as
supporting social welfare organizations that are often overlooked and therefore
lack adequate funding and resources. In doing so, we decrease the tension that
exists between the rich and the poor.

Taiwan needs a pollution-free and nuclear-free environment where land rights
and are respected. Let us do our part by protecting Alangyi Trail, opposing
petrochemical plants and nuclear plants, and participating in environmental
protection movements.

Taiwan needs justice and fairness, as well as leaders who value national
sovereignty over economic growth. Let us engage in everyday theology and use
God's words to discern right from wrong and good from evil. It is only by doing
so that we can proclaim that God is living inside of us and allow God to get
rid of our stone hearts so that we can truly become new creations.

Taiwan Church News is published weekly in Taiwan's local languages.

You may translate and re-use our articles online only if you acknowledge the
source as "Taiwan Church News" and list the names of the reporter and writer.
Contact us before reprinting any of our articles for print publications.

Direct comments and questions about this article to: enews@pctpress.org

Visit our website for more news at: http://enews.pctpress.org/ (English) or
http://www.tcnn.org (Chinese)