WCRC Northeast Asia meeting in Taiwan highlights the importance of ecological preservation

From "Taiwan Church News" <enews@pctpress.org>
Date Wed, 8 Feb 2012 16:22:58 +0800

3128 Edition

February 6-12, 2012

Headline News

WCRC Northeast Asia meeting in Taiwan highlights the importance of ecological
preservation

Reported by Lin Yi-ying

Written by Lydia Ma

The World Council of Reformed Churches (WCRC) Northeast Asia Area Council
(NEAAC) biennial meeting was held at Presbyterian Bible College in the city of
Hsinchu on January 31 to February 2, 2012. This year’s meeting focused on
ecological preservation and nearly 30 representatives from churches in
northeast Asia, including Taiwan, Japan, South Korea, and Hong Kong attended
the meeting.

WCRC General Secretary Setri Nyomi’s keynote address was based on reflections
from the Accra Confession signed in 2004 in Ghana. Following his address,
delegates from other churches also offered their thoughts on some ecological
issues and theological reflections related to these issues.

“In the name of development, we have destroyed our natural resources and put in
their places monuments of human greed. Our lifestyles have often led to
unnecessary emissions of greenhouse gasses,” Nyomi said, referring to the role
of industrialized countries in perpetuating climate change and ecological
destruction.

In view of recent environmental disasters and economic woes, he urged
Christians to renew their commitment to fight against ecological and economic
injustice, including human trafficking and greenhouse effect and other issues
mentioned in the Accra Confession.

Nyomi underscored that greenhouse effect was destroying the earth’s ecology and
though everyone is aware of this problem, few are willing to take action and do
something about it. He added that such an attitude was not only destructive but
also contrary to God’s command for humans to be good stewards of the
environment. Hence, Christians must no longer remain silent, but rather, live
out their God-given calling.

The council elected new officers for the years 2012 and 2013 at this meeting.
Yoshi Fujimori of the Church of Christ in Japan was elected to succeed Chen
Yang-en of the PCT who had just reached his term limit as President of WCRC.

Taiwan Church News is published weekly in Taiwan's local languages.

You may translate and re-use our articles online only if you acknowledge the
source as "Taiwan Church News" and list the names of the reporter and writer.
Contact us before reprinting any of our articles for print publications.

Direct comments and questions about this article to: enews@pctpress.org

Visit our website for more news at: http://enews.pctpress.org/ (English) or
http://www.tcnn.org (Chinese)