Newsline: Advocacy and witness office issues statement on religious liberty and contraception issue

From CoBNews <CoBNews@brethren.org>
Date Fri, 10 Feb 2012 11:34:15 -0600

Newsline: Church of the Brethren News Service, News Director Cheryl
Brumbaugh-Cayford, 800-323-8039 ext. 260, cobnews@brethren.org

Advocacy and witness office issues statement on religious liberty and
contraception issue

(Feb. 10, 2012) Elgin, IL -- The Church of the Brethren's advocacy and peace
witness office based in Washington, D.C., has issued a statement on the current
issues with regard to religious liberty and the provision of health insurance
coverage for contraception.

The statement, issued today Feb. 10, is based on previous statements of the
Church of the Brethren Annual Conference and follows in full:

"The Church of the Brethren was founded, in part, by eight people who believed
in the principle of religious liberty. Throughout our history we have
consistently advocated for the right of conscience, particularly in relation to
military service and conscientious objection. This concern for religious
liberty extends not only to ourselves but to all people of faith seeking to put
their beliefs into practice. This is represented in our 1989 Annual Conference
statement 'No Force in Religion: Religious Liberty in the 21st Century,' which
states, among other things, that we should 'resist all coercive government acts
that would intrude on religious institutions.'

"The Church of the Brethren has advocated for the rights of women, and
encouraged society to remove barriers from women enjoying the equality of
opportunity and exercising the freedom of choice. This is best represented in
the 1970 Annual Conference 'Resolution on Equality for Women.' We also have
advocated for the recognition of health care as a human right, and sought
universal access. We expressed this in our 1989 Annual Conference 'Statement on
Health Care in the United States.'

"The current controversy over exemptions for religious institutions regarding
insurance coverage of contraceptives appears to set these values in
contradiction. The requirements of adequate health care for all people and the
conscience of religious individuals and employers, however, need not be treated
as mutually exclusive. What is more, these values need not be treated as
bargaining tokens for social change. In this spirit, we urge the Obama
Administration and the faith community to move forward together towards a
solution that is both respectful of religious liberty and protects the rights
of all persons, especially low-income women, to receive necessary and adequate
health care."

For more information contact Jordan Blevins, Advocacy Officer and Ecumenical
Peace Coordinator, jblevins@brethren.org , 202-481-6943 (office), 410-596-2664
(cell).

Find links to the Annual Conference statements at www.brethren.org/ac .

The Church of the Brethren is a Christian denomination committed to continuing
the work of Jesus peacefully and simply, and to living out its faith in
community. The denomination is based in the Anabaptist and Pietist faith
traditions and is one of the three Historic Peace Churches. It celebrated its
300th anniversary in 2008. It counts some 123,000 members across the United
States and Puerto Rico, and has missions and sister churches in Nigeria,
Brazil, the Dominican Republic, Haiti, and India.