Mother languages celebration highlights Taiwanese history and the connection between faith and cultu

From "Taiwan Church News" <enews@pctpress.org>
Date Fri, 17 Feb 2012 10:59:27 +0800

3129 Edition

February 13~19, 2012

General Assembly News

Mother languages celebration highlights Taiwanese history and the connection
between faith and culture

Reported by Chiou Kuo-rong

Written by Lydia Ma

To mark International Mother Language Day, which is celebrated on February 21
of every year, the Li Kang-Khiok Taigi Cultural and Educational Foundation held
a mother-language event ahead of time at the Affiliated High School of National
Taiwan Normal University. Held on February 12, 2012, the theme of the event was
“Mother Language is the Best” and the chief purpose of the event was to promote
the sustainability of all different mother languages in Taiwan.

Another reason for holding this event ahead of time was to celebrate the 15th
anniversary of the foundation and the 20th anniversary of the magazine
Taiwanese Writing Forum. This magazine, first published overseas 20 years ago,
is both important and exemplary because it is the oldest Taiwanese language
magazine in the world.

In 1997, Li Kang-Khiok Foundation took over the marketing and distribution of
Taiwan Writing Forum and also began to publish another magazine called
Taiwanese Bong-Po, which is now mainly circulated in Taiwan. But beginning this
month, the two magazines will be merged and given a new name – Taiwanese
Writing Forum Bong News – and the new version will be distributed both overseas
and throughout Taiwan.

The former General Editor of Taiwanese Writing Forum and current member of
Presbyterian Church in Canada, Yeh Kuo-chi, was invited to address the crowd
during the event. Recounting the early days of the magazine, Yeh said though
the publication of the magazine began in June 1991, an overseas Taiwanese
language movement had already begun in New York as early as 1975. Since members
of this movement included members of the Taiwanese independence movement, the
two movements formed an alliance very quickly and began to collaborate with
various local Taiwanese churches that welcomed the idea of using their
buildings as venues for Taiwanese classes and other Taiwanese activities.

This year’s event featured many Taiwanese language and art presentations and
many organizations that support Taiwanese culture sent delegates to attend the
event. According to Taiwan Association of University Professors President Chang
Yan-hsien, the Taiwanese language movement took off and became popular in the
1990s as many activities promoting Taiwanese culture and language became more
frequent.

Chang added that when former President Chen Shui-bian wanted to promote
Taiwanese programs during his presidency, the KMT-controlled legislature would
not allocate enough funds for such programs. Now that President Ma has been
reelected, the budget allocated to promote Taiwanese language across Taiwan has
been slashed significantly. “If Ma Ying-jeou doesn’t want to promote Taiwanese,
then, we will do it together,” said Chang. “I believe that we will succeed one
day.”

Former PCT General Secretary and current CEO of Taiwan United Nations Alliance,
Rev. William J.K. Lo, pointed out that language is a precious gift to humanity
from God the Creator and it enabled people to communicate their emotions and
thoughts. “Different peoples and ethnic groups have their own unique languages,
and parents teach their children their own language. The mother language thus
becomes a precious cultural asset that future generations must protect and pass
on,” he said.

Lo further explained that it is for this reason that Christians think it is
important to share the gospel using people’s mother languages. Using the PCT as
example, he said it currently has more than 1,230 congregations. In these
churches, sermons, readings from the Bible, singing, praying and preaching are
done every Sunday in more than a dozen different languages, including
Taiwanese, Hakka, Amis, Bunun, Atayal, Paiwan, Rukai, Truku, Tao, Tsou, Sediq,
Puyuma, Saisiyat, Mandarin, Japanese and English. In addition, the Bible
Society of Taiwan currently publishes Bibles in 10 different local languages
and bible societies around the world have now published Bibles in 2,508
languages.

“I’m Hakka. Does God understand the Hakka language? Of course he does. If God
didn’t understand my prayers uttered in Hakka, I wouldn’t have become a
Christian,” said Lo during his speech. He urged his listeners to think about
the relationship between faith and culture and how both are interconnected. He
added that mother languages are akin to the soul of a culture and actually
enriches a culture.

Taiwan Church News is published weekly in Taiwan's local languages.

You may translate and re-use our articles online only if you acknowledge the
source as "Taiwan Church News" and list the names of the reporter and writer.
Contact us before reprinting any of our articles for print publications.

Direct comments and questions about this article to: enews@pctpress.org

Visit our website for more news at: http://enews.pctpress.org/ (English) or
http://www.tcnn.org (Chinese)