Editorial: When superpowers deny human rights

From "Taiwan Church News" <enews@pctpress.org>
Date Fri, 17 Feb 2012 17:19:44 +0800

3129 Edition

February 13~19, 2012

Editorial

Editorial: When superpowers deny human rights

Translated by Lydia Ma

The Jasmine Revolution or Arab Spring that began last year has inspired
citizens in oppressive regimes to rise up and demand reform and the resignation
of their autocratic leaders. In response to these demands, we’ve seen
autocratic regimes unwilling to relinquish power use deceit, appeasement, and
even violence to drown out their citizens’ voices calling for reform.

One example of a regime that responded to protests with violence is the
government of President Bashar al-Assad in Syria. Using its economic and
military superiority, the Assad government ordered the military to shoot
non-violent protesters and arrest and torture anyone found to be critical of
the regime.

President Assad has so far turned a deaf ear to all advice from the Arab League
and has disregarded all pressure from the international community because he
knows that he has two powerful allies in the UN Security Council backing him:
China and Russia. Indeed, Russia and China recently used their veto powers to
overrule a set of sanctions painstakingly crafted by the Arab League in
consultation with various scholars and experts.

Many European and American diplomats have pointed out bluntly that using the
veto power available to permanent nations in the Security Council to support an
autocratic regime is shameful. However, the Chinese government countered this
claim by saying that sanctions won’t solve current problems in the Middle East.
In its defense, the Russian government warned that overthrowing Assad’s regime
might create a militant Islamic government and a bigger problem.

Though Beijing and Moscow’s explanations make sense, their use of an iron fist
when governing their own people, coupled by their track record of disregarding
human rights and their longstanding support of Assad’s regime prompts us to
wonder if the real motive behind their vetoes is simply their disregard and
negation of the value of human rights.

Psalm 82 says, “God presides in the great assembly; he renders judgment among
the “gods”:

“How long will you defend the unjust and show partiality to the wicked?” The
Security Council is akin to an assembly of the most powerful countries in the
world and the leaders of these countries are akin to gods who hold the fates
and lives of countless humans, as well as the creation and destruction of
countries, in their hands.

The veto power given to permanent members of the Security Council is a
mechanism given for the purpose of balancing the power of these countries and
is, therefore, not a bad thing. However, if such a balancing mechanism is
instead used to let the wicked get away with murder or help the wicked oppress
the poor, do we expect God to stand by idly and do nothing?

The Presbyterian Church in Taiwan’s polity is typified by the rule of
assemblies where a lot of ministries and strategies are decided after extensive
consultations. From local church sessions to general assemblies, many people
are entrusted to manage and decide important issues and ministries.

The PCT has a long-standing tradition and concern for human rights in Taiwan
and Taiwan’s national sovereignty and we have used our polity to make that even
clearer through extensive consultations before deciding evangelistic
strategies. However, our assemblies are still human inventions that depend on
fallible human beings to act according to their God-given convictions and views
about God’s kingdom. Once our representatives are no longer guided by their
consciences, all that is left is a balance of power mechanism. Therefore, it is
imperative that PCT decision-makers examine their hearts and their motives
often.

As we reprimand the rulers of this world for using their veto powers to trample
on human rights, let us do so with fear and trembling, lest we repeat their
mistake in our lives with the powers and responsibilities entrusted upon us by
others. Through Asaph’s words in Psalm 82, God reminds us by saying, ”I said,
‘You are “gods”; you are all sons of the Most High.’ But you will die like mere
mortals; you will fall like every other ruler.” (verse 6-7). As God’s children
who are set apart from other mortals, let us defend the oppressed and be
messengers of righteousness.

Taiwan Church News is published weekly in Taiwan's local languages.

You may translate and re-use our articles online only if you acknowledge the
source as "Taiwan Church News" and list the names of the reporter and writer.
Contact us before reprinting any of our articles for print publications.

Direct comments and questions about this article to: enews@pctpress.org

Visit our website for more news at: http://enews.pctpress.org/ (English) or
http://www.tcnn.org (Chinese)