UMNS Daily Digest - April 4, 2012 (Easter, Stations of the Cross, Nancy Carruth, Africa University,

From "United Methodist News Service" <newsdesk@umcom.org>
Date Wed, 04 Apr 2012 14:49:07 -0700

    Video: Rethinking Stations of the CrossEaster memories: Escaping the

commercial trapTo ensure consistent delivery, please add

[1]newsdesk@umcom.org to your contact and/or safe senders list.

[2]View Online | [3]Add to Address Book | [4]Subscribe

UMNS Daily Digest - Produced by United Methodist News Service

>Wednesday, April 4, 2012

[5]Easter memories: Escaping the commercial trap

>[6]Stations of the Cross interactive display

>[7]aMrs. Africa U.a Nancy Mikell Carruth dies

>[8]Twister wonat topple churchas spirit

>[9]Prayer vigil after Oakland shooting

>[10]Nebraska addresses restructuring, bishops

[11]Clergy TV ad opposes Alabama immigration law

>[12]

>Lent & Easter ResourcesA>

>[13]

>Video: Rethinking Stations of the CrossA>

>[14]

>UMTV: Good Friday Cross JourneyA>

>[15]

>UMTV: Easter Cross WalkA>

>[16]

>UMTV: Easter Church DramaA>

>[17]

>General Conference 2012A>

>[18]

>General Conference appA>

>[19]

>Read Additional UMNS StoriesA>

>[20]Find us on Facebook

>[21]Twitter

>[22]Contact Us

>(615) 742-5470

aAs I enter (U.S.) grocery stores a| I am shocked at the amount of

space taken by the Easter candy, bunnies and stuffed animals, baskets,

decorations, and new spring clothing. These items take more space than

any grocery store has for all their goods in Maua.a a Jerri Savuto,

>missionary, Maua, Kenya

>Easter memories: Escaping the commercial trap

NEW YORK (UMNS) a After serving as a missionary in Kenya, Jeri Savuto

has a hard time accepting the commercial trappings tied to Easter in

the United States, she writes in aMission Musings,a a blog of the

>United Methodist Board of Global Ministries.

>[23]Read moreA>

>Stations of the Cross interactive display

COVINGTON, Ga. (UMNS) a From creating original paintings to erecting a

solid cedar cross crafted from a large chunk of wood, Covington First

United Methodist Church's first presentation of the Stations of the

>Cross has been a churchwide project of love.

>[24]Read moreA>

>aMrs. Africa U.a Nancy Mikell Carruth dies

NASHVILLE, Tenn. (UMNS) a The Africa University family is mourning the

loss of Nancy Mikell Carruth, 84, who passed away April 1 in Bunkie,

La. Carruth, an inaugural member of the United Methodist-related

universityas advisory development committee and planned giving council,

was affectionately known to many as aMrs. Africa University.a

>[25]Read full story and post a commentA>

>Twister canat topple churchas spirit

ARLINGTON, Texas (UMNS) a In a text message, Vance Morton reflected on

the tornadoes that hammered the Dallas/Fort Worth area April 3. One

United Methodist church a St. Barnabas, Arlington a sustained severe

damage. aWhile the loss of property was severe in some areas,a Morton

wrote, awe are all celebrating the miracle that the human toll was

virtually nil.a Morton directs communications and IT for the Central

Texas Annual (regional) Conference. [26]Read his report  and

a [27]Star-Telegram article about how the Rev. Will Cotton led day-care

children in singing aJesus Loves Mea as they sought refuge.

>Prayer vigil after Oakland shooting

OAKLAND, Calif. (UMNS) a Community religious leaders conducted a

multicultural prayer vigil April 3 after the April 2 shooting at Oikos

University, an Oakland school founded to help Korean immigrants adjust

to life in America and launch new careers. The shooting suspect, One L.

Goh, is a South Korean native. The Rev. Hyok-in Kwon, senior pastor of

Berkeley Korean United Methodist Church and the Rev. Kang Won Lee,

senior pastor of Oakland Korean United Methodist Church, helped to

organize the service, which was in English and Korean.

>Nebraska addresses restructuring, bishops

LINCOLN, Neb. (UMNS) a The Nebraska Annual (regional) Conference

delegation to General Conference on March 24 issued a statement on the

proposals for structural change in The United Methodist Church,

Newscope reports. "We embrace change that would create a structure for

The United Methodist Church that is responsive to the needs of the

global Church. In this time of change, we share a concern that in the

midst of our desire to be flexible and efficient we not lose the

diversity of voices at every level of decision-making. Our concern is

not so much about the ability of individuals to represent the

perspectives of others, but a concern that our decision-makers

themselves reflect the rich diversity of The United Methodist Church.a

The delegation also shared a statement accepted unanimously at its

November meeting, endorsing a diverse episcopacy, specifically

welcoming women and clergy of diverse ethnic backgrounds as bishops.

>Clergy TV ad oposses Alabama immigration law

MONTGOMERY, Ala. (UMNS) a A group of Alabama clergy, including United

Methodists, have unveiled a TV commercial opposing Alabama's

>immigration law.

>[28]To view the videoA>

Did someone you know pass along this copy to you? Get your own copy

>[29]here.

United Methodist News Service is a ministry of United Methodist

>Communications.

Ministries of United Methodist Communications:

>[30]Rethink Church

>[31]TechShop

>[32]EcuFilm

>[33]UMC.org

>Program Journals:

>[34]Interpreter Magazine

>[35]El' Interprete

>[36]United Methodists In Service

>[37]InfoServ

>[38]United Methodist News Service

>[39]UM Audio

>[40]UMTV

[41]Foundation for United Methodist Communications

[42]United Methodist Communications International

>[43]Global Health Initiative

Products & Services of United Methodist Communications:

>[44]Crisis Communications

>[45]Communications Training

>[46]Program Calendars

>[47]United Methodist Press Center

>[48]Scholarships

[49]Promotional Resources for Apportionments, Special Sundays and

>Designated Giving

>[50]United Methodist Productions

[51]http://umns.umc.org | [52]Privacy Policy | [53]Contact Us

If you are reading a pass-along copy of this issue, please go here to

start your own account: [54]UMNS Subscriber Form.

United Methodist Communications Address: 810 12th Ave S, Nashville, TN

>37203

[55]Unsubscribe from this mailing. [5617510514.gif]

>References

>Visible links

>1. mailto:newsdesk@umcom.org

>2. http://www.umc.org/dailydigestarchives/

3.
http://www3.umcom.org/site/c.mrLZJ9PFKmG/b.3754251/k.6982/Whitelist_Instructions.htm

>4. http://umns.umc.org/subscribe

>5. file://localhost/tmp/tmpvkKFwK.html#1

>6. file://localhost/tmp/tmpvkKFwK.html#2

>7. file://localhost/tmp/tmpvkKFwK.html#3

>8. file://localhost/tmp/tmpvkKFwK.html#4

>9. file://localhost/tmp/tmpvkKFwK.html#5

>10. file://localhost/tmp/tmpvkKFwK.html#6

>11. file://localhost/tmp/tmpvkKFwK.html#7

12.
http://www.kintera.org/TR.asp?a=clLUJgNXLkJ1LgO5F&s=hwLYLkM4JlI3ImO2KvG&m=cjKOJ5NNJnL2LkI

13.
http://www.kintera.org/TR.asp?a=5oIGJVOvGdINJWNEH&s=hwLYLkM4JlI3ImO2KvG&m=cjKOJ5NNJnL2LkI