UMNS Daily Digest - April 25, 2012 (General Conference, episcopal address, evangelism, laity address

From "United Methodist News Service" <newsdesk@umcom.org>
Date Wed, 25 Apr 2012 18:51:47 -0700

   To ensure consistent delivery, please add [1]newsdesk@umcom.org to your

>contact and/or safe senders list.

>View Online | Add to Address Book | Subscribe

UMNS Daily Digest - Produced by United Methodist News Service

>Wednesday, April 25, 2012

>[2]Bishop: Resurrect a acalcified churcha

>[3]Laity: Emphasize evangelism

>[4]Young people: Bridge the age gap

>[5]Delegates set rules for business

>[6]African delegates grow in numbers, clout

>[7]No hotels for them

>[8]GC2012 Radio reports for you

>[9]General Conference 2012A>

>[10]General Conference appA>

>[11]General Conference BlogsA>

>[12]Digital LoungeA>

>[13]Change the World 2012A>

>[14]Imagine No MalariaA>

>[15]Read Additional UMNS StoriesA>

>[16]Find us on Facebook

>[17]Twitter

>[18]Contact Us

>(615) 742-5470

>(813) 574-4837 in Tampa, Fla. (through May 4)

aBefore any of us had a resolution in our hands to vote on, we had a

resolution in our hearts to devote ourselves to the living Christ.a a

>Bishop Peter Weaver, Boston Episcopal Area.

>Bishop: Resurrect a acalcified churcha

TAMPA, Fla. (UMNS) a In an emotional Episcopal Address to General Conference
2012, New England Bishop Peter Weaver brought onto the stage four teenagers
who survived genocide in the Democratic Republic of Congo and were baptized
in a chilly river in New Hampshire. Weaver called for a aresurrection
revolutiona in The United Methodist Church. aIf God can bring to life the
crucified Christ, surely God can bring to life a calcified church,a he said.

>[19]Read full story and post a commentA>

>Laity: Emphasize evangelism

TAMPA, Fla. (UMNS) a aImagine if all laity brought just one person to Jesus
Christ each year,a said Betty Spiwe Kativo of Zimbabwe, one of three United
Methodists who shared in the April 25 laity address to General Conference.
Her counterparts, Amory Peck from Bellingham, Wash., and Steve Furr, from
Jackson, Ala., echoed the importance of evangelism by laypeople.

[20]Read full full story and post a commentA>

>Young people: Bridge the age gap

TAMPA, Fla. (UMNS) a Too few young people are in leadership roles in The
United Methodist Church, a pair of young adults told delegates in the April
25 Young Peopleas Address. aWe must overcome our age differences,a said Krin
Ali, 18, from Denver, who was joined via video by co-speaker Joy Eva
Algodon-Bohol, 24, from the Philippines.

>[21]Read full story and post a commentA>

>Delegates set rules for business

TAMPA, Fla. (UMNS) a After more than an hour of discussion a in addition to
almost two hours the previous night a delegates to the 2012 General
Conference on April 25 approved the rules that guide the work of the
legislative committees and full assembly.

>[22]Read full story and post a commentA>

>African delegates grow in number, clout

TAMPA, Fla. (UMNS) a The number of delegates from Africa has risen 32 percent
since the 2008 General Conference, reflecting the growth of churches there.
With greater numbers comes increased strength a especially if the delegates
vote in a bloc.

>[23]Read full storyA>

>No hotels for them

TAMPA, Fla. (UMNS) a Three General Conference attendees are taking the road
less traveled when it comes to accommodations. Two United Methodist
seminarians are sleeping in bunk beds at a monastic-style Christian
community. A United Methodist clergywoman also bypassed the hotel scene and
has taken up residence with the homeless.

>[24]Read moreA>

>GC2012 Radio reports for you

TAMPA, Fla. (UMNS) a You donat need to be in the Tampa Convention Center to
hear the voices of General Conference 2012. Here is a report of the events so
far.

>[25]Listen hereA>

Did someone you know pass along this copy to you? Get your own copy [26]here.

United Methodist News Service is a ministry of United Methodist

>Communications.

Ministries of United Methodist Communications:

>[27]Rethink Church

>[28]TechShop

>[29]EcuFilm

>[30]UMC.org

>Program Journals:

>[31]Interpreter Magazine

>[32]El' Interprete

>[33]United Methodists In Service

>[34]InfoServ

>[35]United Methodist News Service

>[36]UM Audio

>[37]UMTV

[38]Foundation for United Methodist Communications

[39]United Methodist Communications International

>[40]Global Health Initiative

Products & Services of United Methodist Communications:

>[41]Crisis Communications

>[42]Communications Training

>[43]Program Calendars

>[44]United Methodist Press Center

>[45]Scholarships

[46]Promotional Resources for Apportionments, Special Sundays and

>Designated Giving

>[47]United Methodist Productions

[48]http://umns.umc.org | [49]Privacy Policy | [50]Contact Us

If you are reading a pass-along copy of this issue, please go here to

start your own account: [51]UMNS Subscriber Form.

United Methodist Communications Address: 810 12th Ave S, Nashville, TN

>37203

[52]Unsubscribe from this mailing. [5682772076.gif]

>References

>Visible links

>1. mailto:newsdesk@umcom.org

>2. file://localhost/tmp/tmppb_92Q.html#1

>3. file://localhost/tmp/tmppb_92Q.html#2

>4. file://localhost/tmp/tmppb_92Q.html#3

>5. file://localhost/tmp/tmppb_92Q.html#4

>6. file://localhost/tmp/tmppb_92Q.html#5

>7. file://localhost/tmp/tmppb_92Q.html#6

>8. file://localhost/tmp/tmppb_92Q.html#7

9.
http://www.kintera.org/TR.asp?a=7gLLI4PKLoISIUMHF&s=fuLULePWIjKZKgMUJtE&m=elKYKiOSLcLRKkL

10.
http://www.kintera.org/TR.asp?a=buITJgN0JsL0K7PYH&s=fuLULePWIjKZKgMUJtE&m=elKYKiOSLcLRKkL