UMNS Daily Digest - April 30, 2012 (General Conference, Council of Bishops, Judicial Council, malari

From "The United Methodist News Service" <newsdesk@umcom.org>
Date Mon, 30 Apr 2012 18:39:33 -0700

   To ensure consistent delivery, please add [1]newsdesk@umcom.org to your

>contact and/or safe senders list.

>View Online | Add to Address Book | Subscribe

UMNS Daily Digest - Produced by United Methodist News Service

>Monday, April 30, 2012

>[2]Restructuring now up to assembly

>[3]GC2012 rejects set-aside bishop

>[4]Two Africans win seats on Judicial Council

>[5]A celebration of accomplishments

>[6]New missionaries commissioned

>[7]Rally against aungodlya incarceration

>[8]GC2012 Radio

>[9]Facebook: Ties that bind

>[10]aAct of Repentancea hoping to heal wounds

>[11]General Conference 2012A>

>[12]General Conference appA>

>[13]General Conference BlogsA>

>[14]Digital LoungeA>

>[15]Change the World 2012A>

>[16]Imagine No MalariaA>

>[17]Read Additional UMNS StoriesA>

>[18]Find us on Facebook

>[19]Twitter

>[20]Contact Us

>(615) 742-5470

>(813) 574-4837 in Tampa, Fla. (through May 4)

aWeare all trying to respond to the call to be in ministry to the poor.

One way is by getting dirty, putting our work boots on and cleaning up

after disasters, working with those who have lost everything. And

awitha is the key word.a a Bishop Joel Martinez

>Restructuring now up to assembly

TAMPA, Fla. (UMNS) a It will be up to the full assembly of General

Conference 2012 to decide how a and if a The United Methodist Church

agencies will be restructured. Despite going a half-hour past its

deadline, the General Administration Legislative Committee adjourned

April 28 without recommending any of the three competing plans to

>consolidate the denominationas agencies.

>[21]Read full story and post a commentA>

>GC2012 rejects set-aside bishop

TAMPA, Fla. (UMNS) a A proposal to add a new bishop to serve as

president of The United Methodist Churchas Council of Bishops failed to

get the two-thirds majority needed at General Conference on April 30.

The final tally was 55 percent to approve the proposal, which would

have allowed the Council of Bishops to set aside one bishop from

aresidential responsibilitiesa to serve as afull-time president.a A

two-thirds majority was needed because the petition dealt with a change

>to the denominationas constitution.

>[22]Read full story and post a commentA>

>Two Africans win seats on Judicial Council

TAMPA, Fla. (UMNS) a Two Africans were among four United Methodists

elected April 30 to the Judicial Council, the denominationas top court.

The Rev. J. Kabamba Kiboko, the first woman to be ordained in the

Southern Congo Annual (regional) Conference, was elected to fill one of

two open clergy seats. N. Oswald Tweh Sr. of the Liberian Conference

was elected to fill one of two open lay seats. The latter two were the

top vote-getters in the election. The Rev. Dennis L. Blackwell of the

Greater New Jersey Conference and Beth Capen of the New York Conference

>were re-elected.

>[23]Read full story and post a commentA>

>A celebration of accomplishments

TAMPA, Fla. (UMNS) a In a night of celebration, United Methodists were

surrounded by tales of triumph. Among those recognized: a minister to

the homeless, the one-millionth mosquito net for the denominationas

anti-malaria campaign and a Chicago church that meets in three sites

and plans to add seven more. One bishop described the April 29 General

Conference plenary session this way: aTonight Iave heard some of the

most inspiring stories Iave heard in a long time and Iam proud to be a

>United Methodist.a

>[24]Read full story and post a commentA>

>New missionaries commissioned

TAMPA, Fla. (UMNS) a Forty new missionaries, deaconesses and home

missioners from 11 countries were commissioned during a service April

29 at Palma Ceia United Methodist Church. After the service, the new

missionaries were celebrated at the Tampa Convention Center, where the

>General Conference is meeting.

[25]Read full commentary and post a commentA>

>Rally against aungodlya incarceration

TAMPA, Fla. (UMNS) a Holding signs that said aProfit from pain is

inhumane,a about 500 United Methodists gathered outside the Tampa

Convention Center April 28 to rally against the growing private prison

industry, especially when it comes to incarcerating immigrants. Iowa

Bishop Julius Calvin Trimble called it aan ungodly obsession with

incarceration.a The rally was cosponsored by the United Methodist Women

and the United Methodist Task Force on Immigration.

>[26]Read full story and post a commentA>

>GC2012 Radio

TAMPA, Fla. (UMNS) a In todayas show, UMNS reporter Heather Hahn offers

a summary of the General Administration Committeeas struggle to find

consensus on restructuring. We also hear from UMNS social media

coordinator Jay Voorhees and Annie MacNeal, a reserve delegate from the

New England Conference. And thereas a conversation with the box artist

>who created a mural in the convention center.

>[27]Listen to GC2012 RadioA>

>Facebook: Ties that bind

TAMPA, Fla. (UMNS) a Itas safe to say Baptist preacher John Fawcett had

no idea that something called Facebook would be a 21st century forum

for his 18th century hymn, aBlessed Be the Ties that Bind.a But thatas

whatas happening here at GC2012. Consider these two posts:

Thomas Shanklin: aAnyone remember the name of the Pastor who spoke

Sunday evening about her communion set, the poor and San Antonio. If

so, please tell me on my Facebook page, or email me.a

Rachel Jennings: aThe Rev. Lorenza Andrade-Smith. (I've sent an

email, also.) I'm blessed to be acquainted with her.a

It took three whole minutes to get the mystery solved.

>[28]Join the conversationA>

>aAct of Repentancea hoping to heal wounds

TAMPA, Fla. (UMNS) a Missionaries to Native Americans hope The United

Methodist Churchas aAct of Repentancea will become a balm to heal

wounds that still are open. The April 27 worship service at General

Conference focused on the past mistreatment of indigenous people,

though it was prompted in part by the 1864 massacre of 168 unarmed

Cheyennes and Arapahoes near Sand Creek, Colo. The attack was led by an

ordained Methodist pastor and army officer. On April 30, General

Conference approved a petition dealing specifically with the Sand Creek

>Massacre.

>[29]Sand Creek Massacre PetitionA>

[30]Native missionaries welcome Act of RepentanceA>

Did someone you know pass along this copy to you? Get your own copy

>[31]here.

United Methodist News Service is a ministry of United Methodist

>Communications.

Ministries of United Methodist Communications:

>[32]Rethink Church

>[33]TechShop

>[34]EcuFilm

>[35]UMC.org

>Program Journals:

>[36]Interpreter Magazine

>[37]El' Interprete

>[38]United Methodists In Service

>[39]InfoServ

>[40]United Methodist News Service

>[41]UM Audio

>[42]UMTV

[43]Foundation for United Methodist Communications

[44]United Methodist Communications International

>[45]Global Health Initiative

Products & Services of United Methodist Communications:

>[46]Crisis Communications

>[47]Communications Training

>[48]Program Calendars

>[49]United Methodist Press Center

>[50]Scholarships

[51]Promotional Resources for Apportionments, Special Sundays and

>Designated Giving

>[52]United Methodist Productions

[53]http://umns.umc.org | [54]Privacy Policy | [55]Contact Us

If you are reading a pass-along copy of this issue, please go here to

start your own account: [56]UMNS Subscriber Form.

United Methodist Communications Address: 810 12th Ave S, Nashville, TN

>37203

[57]Unsubscribe from this mailing. [5694506859.gif]

>References

>Visible links

>1. mailto:newsdesk@umcom.org

>2. file://localhost/tmp/tmpERUJa3.html#1

>3. file://localhost/tmp/tmpERUJa3.html#2

>4. file://localhost/tmp/tmpERUJa3.html#3

>5. file://localhost/tmp/tmpERUJa3.html#4

>6. file://localhost/tmp/tmpERUJa3.html#5

>7. file://localhost/tmp/tmpERUJa3.html#6

>8. file://localhost/tmp/tmpERUJa3.html#7

>9. file://localhost/tmp/tmpERUJa3.html#8

>10. file://localhost/tmp/tmpERUJa3.html#9

11.
http://www.kintera.org/TR.asp?a=7gKMJYPwEfLQKZPMF&s=crLOK5OKLgLTI7NIJqF&m=7nLALPOpEaJMJ0I

12.
http://www.kintera.org/TR.asp?a=atISK7MIKiKWI9OZE&s=crLOK5OKLgLTI7NIJqF&m=7nLALPOpEaJMJ0I