UMNS Daily Digest - May 2, 2012 (Plan UMC, divestment, General Conference, trust, central conference

From "United Methodist News Service" <newsdesk@umcom.org>
Date Wed, 02 May 2012 18:55:44 -0700

   To ensure consistent delivery, please add [1]newsdesk@umcom.org to your

>contact and/or safe senders list.

>View Online | Add to Address Book | Subscribe

UMNS Daily Digest - Produced by United Methodist News Service

>Wednesday, May 2, 2012

>[2]'Plan UMC' gets tentative approval

>[3]Delegates reject divestment from companies

>[4]UMC has trust issues

>[5]Challenges of a global church

>[6]Ecumenical award given

>[7]12 conferences to lead Imagine No Malaria

>[8]Praying for peace in Nigeria

>[9]Winning hearts, one song at a time

[10]May 2 wrap: Delegates approve new structure

>[11]On GC2012 Radio today

>[12]Correction: May 1 daily wrap-up item

>[13]General Conference 2012A>

>[14]General Conference appA>

>[15]General Conference BlogsA>

>[16]Digital LoungeA>

>[17]Change the World 2012A>

>[18]Imagine No MalariaA>

>[19]Read Additional UMNS StoriesA>

>[20]Find us on Facebook

>[21]Twitter

>[22]Contact Us

>(615) 742-5470

>(813) 574-4837 in Tampa, Fla. (through May 4)

aWe can no longer behave like we are a United States church.a a Bishop

>Scott Jones of the Kansas Episcopal Area.

>'Plan UMC' gets tentative approval

TAMPA, Fla. (UMNS) a The campaign to restructure the general agencies

of The United Methodist Church continued its roller-coaster ride on May

2. By a vote of 567 to 384, the 2012 United Methodist General

Conference tentatively approved a slightly amended version of aPlan

UMCa to reconfigure the agencies and downsize their boards. A final

vote on the plan will come on May 4 after the delegates learn its

financial implications and hear a report from the Judicial Council on

>its constitutionality.

>[23]Read full story and post a commentA>

>Delegates reject divestment from companies

TAMPA, Fla. (UMNS) a In the May 2 afternoon plenary at the 2012 General

Conference, delegates approved petitions dealing with the

Palestinian-Israeli conflict but did not approve a measure to divest

from specific companies. Delegates instead approved a report calling on

the United Methodist Board of Pension and Health Benefits to explore

aserious peace-making strategies in Israel and Palestine, including

positive economic and financial investment in Palestine.a

>[24]Read full story and post a commentA>

>UMC has trust issues

TAMPA, Fla. (UMNS) a aWe have huge trust issues,a said the Rev. Adam

Hamilton, a popular author and pastor of the United Methodist Church of

the Resurrection in Leawood, Kan. In an interview with blogger Jay

Voorhees, Hamilton said trust-building is needed between conferences

around the world, between bishops and laity, and between bishops and

>clergy.

>[25]Read the interviewA>

>Challenges of a global church

TAMPA, Fla. (UMNS) a The growth of United Methodism in the central

conferences a Africa, Asia and Europe a is increasingly evident at each

General Conference. There are 372 delegates from the central

conferences at GC2012, twice as many as there were at the 2004 General

>Conference and a third more than 2008.

>[26]Read full story and post a commentA>

>Ecumenical award given

TAMPA, Fla. (UMNS) a The Rev. John McCullough, a United Methodist

clergyman and executive director of the international humanitarian

agency Church World Service, was given the Council of Bishops 2012

Ecumenical Award on May 1 at General Conference. McCullough is aan

exceptional advocate for ecumenism in the life of The United Methodist

Church and beyond,a said Bishop Mary Ann Swenson, president of the

Commission on Christian Unity and Interreligious Concerns.

>[27]Read full story and post a commentA>

>12 conferences to lead Imagine No Malaria

TAMPA, Fla. (UMNS) a Imagine No Malaria announced the commitment of 12

United Methodist annual conferences to support the denominationas

effort to end preventable malaria deaths in Africa. The annual

conferences are part of the aVanguard Wavea of the ministryas effort to

raise at least $75 million. This phase of Imagine No Malaria features a

balanced approach to engagement, with an emphasis on advocacy

activities, major gift cultivation and local church participation.

>[28]Read full story and post a commentA>

>Praying for peace in Nigeria

TAMPA, Fla. (UMNS) a The business of the 2012 United Methodist General

Conference paused briefly May 1 to remember those killed in a late

April spree of violence in Nigeria and to pray for peace in the West

African nation. The General Conference delegates include

>representatives from Nigeria.

>[29]Read full story and post a commentA>

>Winning hearts, one song at a time

TAMPA, Fla. (UMNS) a You might call them the United Methodist version

of the Jackson Five. The Kamana family a four brothers and a sister a

traveled here from the Democratic Republic of Congo and have been

wowing General Conference and Florida churches with their a cappella

>versions of songs like aO Happy Day.a

>[30]Learn more and see a performanceA>

>May 2 wrap: Delegates approve new structure

TAMPA, Fla. (UMNS) aa After several false starts to create a new

structure, the May 2 session of the 2012 General Conference approved a

modest realignment of the 13 general agencies that serve the 13

million-member United Methodist Church. Delegates reaffirmed a

resolution opposing Israeli settlements in Palestinian land, but they

defeated efforts to recommend divestment from particular companies

>operating in the area.

>[31]Read full story and post a commentA>

>On GC2012 Radio today

TAMPA, Fla. (UMNS) a The Rev. David Alan Grady, a pastor, delegate, and

social media user from the North Georgia Conference, says Twitter

affected his conference's delegation elections last summer. UMNS

reporter Heather Hahn discusses the adoption of Plan UMC this morning,

and artist Ted Lyddon Hatten talks about his artwork at General

>Conference.

>[32]Listen to GC2012 RadioA>

>Correction: May 1 daily wrap-up item

The Board of Global Ministries is working with a group of

large-membership churches in the United States to develop a

microfinance program. The May 1 wrap-up story incorrectly described the

board's work in this area. UMNS regrets the error.

Did someone you know pass along this copy to you? Get your own copy

>[33]here.

United Methodist News Service is a ministry of United Methodist

>Communications.

Ministries of United Methodist Communications:

>[34]Rethink Church

>[35]TechShop

>[36]EcuFilm

>[37]UMC.org

>Program Journals:

>[38]Interpreter Magazine

>[39]El' Interprete

>[40]United Methodists In Service

>[41]InfoServ

>[42]United Methodist News Service

>[43]UM Audio

>[44]UMTV

[45]Foundation for United Methodist Communications

[46]United Methodist Communications International

>[47]Global Health Initiative

Products & Services of United Methodist Communications:

>[48]Crisis Communications

>[49]Communications Training

>[50]Program Calendars

>[51]United Methodist Press Center

>[52]Scholarships

[53]Promotional Resources for Apportionments, Special Sundays and

>Designated Giving

>[54]United Methodist Productions

[55]http://umns.umc.org | [56]Privacy Policy | [57]Contact Us

If you are reading a pass-along copy of this issue, please go here to

start your own account: [58]UMNS Subscriber Form.

United Methodist Communications Address: 810 12th Ave S, Nashville, TN

>37203

[59]Unsubscribe from this mailing. [5702480742.gif]

>References

>Visible links

>1. mailto:newsdesk@umcom.org

>2. file://localhost/tmp/tmpkOGgwL.html#1

>3. file://localhost/tmp/tmpkOGgwL.html#2

>4. file://localhost/tmp/tmpkOGgwL.html#3

>5. file://localhost/tmp/tmpkOGgwL.html#4

>6. file://localhost/tmp/tmpkOGgwL.html#5

>7. file://localhost/tmp/tmpkOGgwL.html#6

>8. file://localhost/tmp/tmpkOGgwL.html#7

>9. file://localhost/tmp/tmpkOGgwL.html#8

>10. file://localhost/tmp/tmpkOGgwL.html#9

>11. file://localhost/tmp/tmpkOGgwL.html#10

>12. file://localhost/tmp/tmpkOGgwL.html#11

13.
http://www.kintera.org/TR.asp?a=bkLUIcMMLdJWLdN2E&s=fkIUKeOWJjKZKgOUKtG&m=8oKDKMOpGaJJL2J

14.
http://www.kintera.org/TR.asp?a=4dJGIROkF6IIITMBH&s=fkIUKeOWJjKZKgOUKtG&m=8oKDKMOpGaJJL2J