UMNS Daily Digest - May 8, 2012 (General Conference, lay delegate, hunger relief, Society of St. And

From "United Methodist News Service" <newsdesk@umcom.org>
Date Tue, 08 May 2012 15:47:51 -0700

   To ensure consistent delivery, please add [1]newsdesk@umcom.org to your

>contact and/or safe senders list.

>View Online | Add to Address Book | Subscribe

UMNS Daily Digest - Produced by United Methodist News Service

>Tuesday, May 8, 2012

>[2]GC2012 packed with action

>[3]An eyewitness to history

>[4]Fighting hunger, one cucumber at a time

>[5]Multimedia portal to events

>[6]Welcome to the 21st century

>[7]GC2012: Sailing the ecumenical boat

>[8]General Conference 2012A>

>[9]General Conference appA>

>[10]General Conference BlogsA>

>[11]Digital LoungeA>

>[12]Change the World 2012A>

>[13]Read Additional UMNS StoriesA>

>[14]Find us on Facebook

>[15]Twitter

>[16]Contact Us

>(615) 742-5470

aNow technology has changed the way we vote, and we are able to more

easily vote our conscience without retaliation.a a Ruth Daugherty, lay

>delegate since 1972

>GC2012 packed with action

TAMPA, Fla. (UMNS) a The loud claps of thunder incorporated into the

General Conferenceas opening worship service on April 24 may have been

an omen of what was to come. Nearly a thousand delegates, grouped into

13 legislative committees, considered 1,200 petitions. They raised

money to battle malaria; commissioned missionaries; repented for the

mistreatment of indigenous people throughout history; and heard from a

global lineup of young people, lay people, clergy and bishops. United

Methodist News Service reporter Kathy Gilbert sums up much of General

Conference 2012 Week One with the Three Ps: Prayer, praise and

>protest.

>[17]Read full story and post a commentA>

>An eyewitness to history

TAMPA, Fla. (UMNS) a Ruth Daughertyas seen a lifetime of changes over

the last 11 General Conferences. aNow the delegates are 38 percent

female,a said Daugherty, whoas been an elected delegate from the

Eastern Pennsylvania Annual (regional) Conference since 1972. aWeare

still not where we ought to be, but at that time it was less a much

>less.a Thatas not the only difference.

>[18]Read full story and post a commentA>

>Fighting hunger, one cucumber at a time

TAMPA, Fla. (UMNS) a Delegates and visitors to General Conference 2012

teamed up to help bag more than 40,000 pounds of cucumbers that were

then distributed to homeless shelters and feeding programs around

central Florida. The cucumber bagging was sponsored by Society of St.

Andrew, a nonprofit hunger relief ministry started by three United

>Methodist pastors.

>[19]See the videoA>

>Multimedia portal to events

TAMPA, Fla. (UMNS) a From video of the plenary sessions and worship

services to more than 4,000 photographs capturing moments inside the

convention center, the General Conference 2012 website is a multi-media

record of what happened between April 24 through May 4. Itas also not

>too late to post your own comments.

>[20]Take a lookA>

>Welcome to the 21st century

NASHVILLE, Tenn. (UMNS)aaThe 20th century United Methodist Church ran

headlong into the 21st century United Methodist Church at General

Conference 2012 in Tampa last week,a writes Larry Hollon, in his

aFaith, Media and Culturea blog. The church was willing to open its

proceedings to the world through digital media, but there were bumps

>along the way.

>[21]Read the blog and post a commentA>

>GC2012: Sailing the ecumenical boat

Note: This item was left out of the May 2 Daily Digest

TAMPA, Fla. (UMNS) a Continuing a theme about sailing with Jesus aover

lifeas tempestuous sea,a GC2012 worship leader Marcia McFee got

participants in the May 1 evening worship up on their feet, telling

their neighbors, aIave seen some storms in my life,a and adding, abut,

I see Jesus coming.a A number of Methodist and ecumenical guests were

present at the service and the United Methodist Council of Bishops

recognized one of them, the Rev. John L. McCullough, executive director

of Church World Service since 2000, with its 2012 Ecumenical Award.

>[22]Read full story and post a commentA>

Did someone you know pass along this copy to you? Get your own copy

>[23]here.

United Methodist News Service is a ministry of United Methodist

>Communications.

Ministries of United Methodist Communications:

>[24]Rethink Church

>[25]TechShop

>[26]EcuFilm

>[27]UMC.org

>Program Journals:

>[28]Interpreter Magazine

>[29]El' Interprete

>[30]United Methodists In Service

>[31]InfoServ

>[32]United Methodist News Service

>[33]UM Audio

>[34]UMTV

[35]Foundation for United Methodist Communications

[36]United Methodist Communications International

>[37]Global Health Initiative

Products & Services of United Methodist Communications:

>[38]Crisis Communications

>[39]Communications Training

>[40]Program Calendars

>[41]United Methodist Press Center

>[42]Scholarships

[43]Promotional Resources for Apportionments, Special Sundays and

>Designated Giving

>[44]United Methodist Productions

[45]http://umns.umc.org | [46]Privacy Policy | [47]Contact Us

If you are reading a pass-along copy of this issue, please go here to

start your own account: [48]UMNS Subscriber Form.

United Methodist Communications Address: 810 12th Ave S, Nashville, TN

>37203

[49]Unsubscribe from this mailing. [5717327323.gif]

>References

>Visible links

>1. mailto:newsdesk@umcom.org

>2. file://localhost/tmp/tmpf7IzVU.html#1

>3. file://localhost/tmp/tmpf7IzVU.html#2

>4. file://localhost/tmp/tmpf7IzVU.html#3

>5. file://localhost/tmp/tmpf7IzVU.html#4

6. file://localhost/tmp/tmpf7IzVU.html#Welcome

>7. file://localhost/tmp/tmpf7IzVU.html#5

8.
http://www.kintera.org/TR.asp?a=8rJOJ6PGKaJKLXOMH&s=9oLILWMyFdLNIYNwGnG&m=gmIVKaNZIsLZImI

9.
http://www.kintera.org/TR.asp?a=clKWKiNWIeISJaN3F&s=9oLILWMyFdLNIYNwGnG&m=gmIVKaNZIsLZImI